SAE

soundop

hey guys, i was wondering has any one done the 9 month sae program, and is it worth the 18k

Thus when i put my prefrences in for next year, SAE was second on my list

1.51061: Live Production, Theatre and Events (Box Hill Institute of TAFE, Whitehorse, F/T)
2.99702: Audio Engineering and Sound Production (Diploma) (SAE Institute, Melbourne, F/T, P/T)
3.61151: Live Production, Theatre and Events (Holmesglen Institute of TAFE, Chadstone, F/T)
4.95352: Audio Engineering and Sound Production (Degree) (JMC Academy, Melbourne, F/T)
5.72401: Audio Visual Technology (RMIT University TAFE, City - TAFE, F/T)

Charc, in general I would agree with you but the problem is finding a internship near you. I spent 3 months looking and barely managed to find myself a job as a tech and even then I'm not even primarily doing tech work, more like I'm backup....I might go the way of SAE for a way of accelerated knowledge if this job doesn't pan out

What about VCA (Victorian College of the Arts) They have a production cource that i put down as my number two, any thoughts on that cource?

Like a lot of these courses they're no substitue for real world experience. As has probably been said here & elsewhere many times most theatres or companies are looking for experience, not pieces of paper. You're much better off spending the 9 months/2 years actually crewing at a hire company than sitting in a classroom. You'll be paid & get on the job training in the real world. Sure, you'll start at the bottom, pushing boxes & hauling cables, but you will be doing that after you finish your course anyway.

f.y.i. I taught Audio Engineering Cert IV at J.M.C Academy in Melbourne for 2 years, before SAE moved to their new building in Normanby rd. Out of approximately 120 students I had over that time, maybe 4 had the drive & aptitude to actually get real work after it. I offered many times for students to come along & assist me at real shows I did, and ONE came to one show, and never came again.

For myself teaching the course helped me brush up on some theory that I'd forgotten (speed of sound propogation at 21 degrees celsius anyone?)

My advice; if you are going to do one of these courses with the real aim of working in the industry, use every moment of time that you have in the facilities to get real hands on with everything possible, ask questions alll the time, sit at the front of the class and interact. You (or your parents) will be paying for it so get all you can from it !

BUT most importantly, make friends with everyone, or learn to pretend you're friends; You never know who they may know and it's a very small clicky industry! Your primary skill will be dealing with people, artistic, creative, temperamental people. :-s

Last edited:
For myself teaching the course helped me brush up on some theory that I'd forgotten (speed of sound propogation at 21 degrees celsius anyone?)
Off the top of my head, I believe approximately 340m/s or 1130ft/s (at 70 degrees Fahrenheit). And yes, I do use those numbers quite a bit. Of course, I also can't seem to forget 9.8 meters per second squared (32 feet per second squared), 64 pounds per cubic foot (the weight of water) and many other numbers that I rarely use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back