Safely Hung Batten

....here's the question....

How much higher up is the electric?

Perhaps it would help if he could convince someone (insurance carrier, fire marshall) that the proximity of hot lamp to cloth is a fire hazard?

at this point, i think this thread may have to go rest for a little while, because we won't be moving fixtures again until this summer, our last show of this school year is the Drama Showcase which is a no budget show. I mean when we have time to measure it maybe i'll resurrect it.

I would go in there and measure it anytime, but we can't be in there without teacher supervision and our drama club's' director doesn't care about it until a week before the show when i can't focus lights

Having spent a lot of time around school administrators discussing theatre upgrades, renovations, etc, I've picked up a couple tricks.

My advice is simple; convince somebody that the way you are hanging lights is necessary. On top of that, also convince them that it is dangerous. Heed of warning though, they may play it back on you that it's your choice to do such dangerous feats, but typically if you start talking about extremely dangerous aspects of the way the facility is forced to operate out of necessity somebody will flip open a check book. The important thing to remember is that when all else fails, keeping climbing the hierarchy. The higher you go on the administrative food chain, the more "rainy-day contingency funding" is available at a single person's discretion. I'm talking about principals and superintendents here.

Mind you, this route does leave open the risk they will try to come back by saying that you're the cause of the danger for using such practices.

Or... that students will be banned from working at height, and you'll be running focus with one maintenance guy... :rolleyes:

A guy that runs sound for us because we don't have a system said they have that rule at another high shcool. only a janitor can go up in the genie. So they had him focus for a half an hour, he got bored and said... you guys can use the genie.

Having spent a lot of time around school administrators discussing theatre upgrades, renovations, etc, I've picked up a couple tricks.
My advice is simple; convince somebody that the way you are hanging lights is necessary. On top of that, also convince them that it is dangerous. Heed of warning though, they may play it back on you that it's your choice to do such dangerous feats, but typically if you start talking about extremely dangerous aspects of the way the facility is forced to operate out of necessity somebody will flip open a check book. The important thing to remember is that when all else fails, keeping climbing the hierarchy. The higher you go on the administrative food chain, the more "rainy-day contingency funding" is available at a single person's discretion. I'm talking about principals and superintendents here.
Mind you, this route does leave open the risk they will try to come back by saying that you're the cause of the danger for using such practices.

Or, they go its dangerous? We just won't use it then. Hang everything out front.

Or, they go its dangerous? We just won't use it then. Hang everything out front.

Like I said, it's got a catch to it. However, if you've got a principal that supports the arts, but doesn't have money to spare for unimportant stuff, then they might go for it.

I informed my buildings and grounds supervisor of all of the shock hazards, old tin can 360Q's that have, on occasion, gone up in smoke, and all sorts of other stuff. Lo and behold, we're ripping that venue apart and redoing all of the electrical, putting in a new lighting system, and all sorts of fun stuff.

I'm glad you have an administration that appreciates you. We just kicked out a superintendent [finally] that spent special education money on lobster dinners on vacation retreats, at one of our middle school's ex-principals houses. sorry for getting off topic, i just like to inform people of the better things that our budget is going towards. as a town we ended up having to pay $250 thousand back to rhode island department of education for fines and whatnot. yet somehow, we're one of the top 500 schools in the country.

I'm glad you have an administration that appreciates you. We just kicked out a superintendent [finally] that spent special education money on lobster dinners on vacation retreats, at one of our middle school's ex-principals houses. sorry for getting off topic, i just like to inform people of the better things that our budget is going towards. as a town we ended up having to pay $250 thousand back to rhode island department of education for fines and whatnot. yet somehow, we're one of the top 500 schools in the country.

Isn't it ironic that when you follow the money trail, who really gets hit hard for penalties against the school district? It's not the school district.

Here we've only within the past couple years paid off our debt. Our previous accountant told the district that there was more money than there actually was, only to be revealed that the opposite was true during an audit.

Yup, a couple million dollars missing rolls a few heads. Luckily, the accounting firm was held liable for a large chunk of that, but certainly not all of it.

The most important thing that I've learned about dealing with school administrators is communication. You want a solid line of communication with them if you want them on your side, and the key is never to complain you don't have the money for something unless you go to them with something important and they shoot you down. We spent too many years here in Oconomowoc playing that game. As it turned out, most of our problems were taken care of after everybody began to understand what their jobs entail. Taking our principal for example, he had been there a few years, but no line of communication was ever made to him by anybody really and so when ____ hit the fan he couldn't help because he never even knew there was a problem to deal with. All said and done, he now keeps a closer eye on the theatre department and has opened the doors to saying that if we're in a jam for one reason or another he'll help us out, but prior to that he had no idea there were ever problems that needed to be dealt with.

I can assure you though that the last thing anybody should do is fill in the blanks. It's understandable to complain about not having a budget, but once you start pointing fingers at people then you get into a really iffy territory. IMO, if you don't make an effort to communicate to the proper authority that there's a problem to be dealt with, you're at more fault than the authority is for nothing getting done. I'm not accusing anybody here of that, certainly not, but it's a lesson I've learned and I think everybody benefits if they carry that lesson through life.

maybe people who require special education thrive on lobster dinners and vacations? at your middle-school's ex-principal's house... creepy. don't you just love the education system? although... *reffers to signature*

Funny to me here because I'm working in a brand new theatre that doesn't have trimmable electrics and the borders were all put so close to the electrics initially that I could only use those up stage as direct overhead lights.. I took the borders down in order to have more usable lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back