safety cable or not

I don't think I would have gotten the aluminum crimp, not at this point in my life anyway.

When the bolt comes loose =O
That is two of four main points. Perhaps when not needed?

Actually the time a saftey cable is most useful is when you're tightening it down on the pipe with your wrench. If you overtighten or if other people have you get a stress fracture in the c-clamp and down it goes. While saftey's are quite useful in other situations if the clamp is going to go its going to go when you tighten it.

If I can find the picture I have I'll post it.

what about when scenery or basket balls hit the fixtures - after installed?

Or during a carpentry focus? ;)

P.S.

Ship! I thought I was missing a safety. Wow, how did it get all the way out to... to..., well I don't know where you are, but still.

(Seriously though, even my stuff looks better than that. I think. Wait, do all my instruments even have safeties...?)

what about when scenery or basket balls hit the fixtures - after installed?

While I haven't seen B-balls hit lights...everytime I've seen scenery hit lights it either shatters the lamp/reflector/maybe lens/ or b) knocks it out of focus. Very rarely do they get knocked off the pipe, unless they were hung improperly in the first place...which is reason #2 to always use safteys.

ship, do you just like teasing the whole booth with these crazy safety questions, there's something for dvs to put in the forum

Ship's safety questions, actually that's not such a bad idea

While I haven't seen B-balls hit lights...everytime I've seen scenery hit lights it either shatters the lamp/reflector/maybe lens/ or b) knocks it out of focus. Very rarely do they get knocked off the pipe, unless they were hung improperly in the first place...which is reason #2 to always use safteys.

Reason #1, C clamps are cast, not milled, therefore they can easily crack. The reason C clamps do not have legit SWL designations is because of this. Besides stupidity coming into play with the person hanging it, you never know whats going to crash into that pipe that gives it that extra umph to crack the clamp or bend it badly, also.. you never know when that earthquake will hit.

Reason #1, C clamps are cast, not milled, therefore they can easily crack. The reason C clamps do not have legit SWL designations is because of this. Besides stupidity coming into play with the person hanging it, you never know whats going to crash into that pipe that gives it that extra umph to crack the clamp or bend it badly, also.. you never know when that earthquake will hit.

I've heard most of NYC isn't earthquake "proofed" (I was about to type: EQ proofed, but caught myself. ;) ), or... maybe that was hurricane "proofed". In any event, we all know what the local 1 strike did to theatre, but could you imagine all of broadway shaking with a powerful earthquake? Is it possible that even a more minor earthquake might be enough to royally mess-up focus positions?

I think you're losing your mind Charlie.

Yea, sorry for all the random posts lately CB. I have a lot of work going on, primarily with school, and trying to raise my grades in 1.5 weeks, but with other things too.

~Charlie

Is it possible that even a more minor earthquake might be enough to royally mess-up focus positions?

I would not be concerned about focus... I would be more concerned about the 20 tons of stuff in the air that starts swinging, pulling on loft block in ways they were not meant to, arbors banging in to each other... the last place I would ever want to be in a quake is in a theatre, let alone in a genie. Always remember, there are forces out there that are bigger then what you hope for, hopefully it never happens, but it could. If you are out west, they tend to take it a bit more seriously, if you are in the midwest they say the clock is ticking.

Try working on a cruise ship with a fly system. There are actually some very interesting designed fly systems for cruise ships where the battens ride in a track so they can't sway. Working on a ladder, even a 6' ladder while the ship is moving is quite exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back