Safety Cables

How much of your lighting inventory is safety cabled?

• Every fixture is safety cabled

Votes: 96 68.6%
  • Everything not in storage is safety cabled

Votes: 31 22.1%
  • A few particular fixtures are safety cabled

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing is safety cabled

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
I would have some big personal issues with fixtures I am responsible for, not having security cables. I get the analogy regarding architectural installation vs. theatrical lighting, but that doesn't suffice for me. In most applications, architectural lighting is installed and rarely touched until bulb replacement is required, and the mounts are typically permanent. In regards to Unistrut, my understanding is that the clamp bolts are made to slightly cut into the metal to prevent back-off (please correct me if I am wrong on this). Also, in most cases, unistrut is hung utilizing multiple clamps, thus sharing the load to some degree.

In the case of "stage luminaires", it is common for the fixture to receive regular adjustment that would increase the chance of human error. I would also consider the fact that building structures are good at hosting vibration and when you add large sound systems in the mix, plus maybe a few moving fixtures, you increase the potential risk, especially if on a unified truss system.

Many churches struggle with their budgets meeting their needs. I wouldn't jump to believing that they are being irresponsible as much as I would think they are just uneducated about the circumstance. Especially in today's economy, tithings are down and need is up. It could be that the system has worked for many years without cause and they have a lot of congregants and community needs they are trying to accommodate. I am in charge of some ministry and it is not uncommon for me to get approached about a family that doesn't have food in their fridge. Would that take priority over the light, yes, but it would be delt with asap.

I would like to hear more about lighting clamp failure. Is this common and is there a technique to where the safety cable is wrapped around the clamp to prevent it from falling or is the clamp's attachment to the fixture considered sufficient redundancy (if fixture has safety cable).

The use of safety cables has been fairly well discussed around here. So do a search. Check out this thread for Gafftaper's Safety Cable Solution. I've been using this technique to safety fixtures for 2 1/2 years now and I've never had a time it didn't work. Yeah it takes about 10 seconds longer to put on and take off, but it's FAR safer. You can have both the c-clamp AND the yoke fail and your instrument will not fall. Best of all, you are guaranteed to always have a safety cable as there's no way for it to be accidentally removed from the fixture.

Yep, it's a no-brainer Bill.

Good to see you up and around this morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back