Safety Cables

all of ours have silver colored nicio clips. the few of the home made ones we have are copper. we have a box and a half of copper nicio clips. right now i have about 30 cables sitting around(ill see if i can get a pic) if i can i wrap mine around twice to minimize shock weight.

whats the difference in the copper, aluminium, and zinc nico clips?

one last question, how do i adjust the nico press(i highly doubt its ever been done with ours) and where can i get a go/nogo gauge?

If silver in appearance but coming from a factory, it's not to be worried much about as long as in good condition. Perhaps contact your supplier and ask. Most factory crimps will be one large crimp done by a machine. Different materials - probably steel.

Copper and zinc plated copper are what's proper to be using where other than in a static position that does not have life safety involved. Zinc plating is just a plating for more corrosion resistance.

By a go/no-go gauge and test the home made ones, could be all right. Always follow the manufacturer instructions on how many crimps to make as well as maintinence of the tool. Did for 1/8" wire rope it say two or three crimps? Smaller wire rope might not require as many crimps both because the jaws are larger and the crimp is smaller. Follow the instructions.

Go-No/Go gauges can be bought by any rigging or otherwise suppliers that sell the tools. It's important that while any gauge should be the same, that you still attempt to get the same brand of gauge as the tool. Sapsis Rigging would be one amongst many sources.

Do not attempt to adjust the tool unless you have the manual in hand and it's telling you how to do so, much less the liabilty of the place you are at will allow you to adjust this tool. If it's off, send it in for proper adjustment. Such tools are delecate and under high pressure. Tighten a screw in the wrong way and it could pop in going thru your eye.

> Just a bit concerned about the safety cables that I bought from Fisher
> Theatrical when I was in the US last year, after reading the recent post
> around this topic.
>
> 1. No ratings or other stampings on the snap lock
> 2. The sleeves are Aluminium and appear to be machine pressed
>
> Should I be concerned?

Fischer Theatrical has the liability on these safety cables, they have also been around a long time and have a very good name for themselves in safety and experence amongst other rigging or theater suppliers - All Bulbs, Barbizon, Texas Theatrical, TMB, Starlight Global, Fher Brothers, Peak Trading, and many many more to note just a few. Most will be buying the same equipment or buying from a common supplier of either 3/16" or 1/4" both of which have their uses though 1/4" is a little more damage resistant in being worth a little more money.

The aluminum is probably of a different composition or grade than that of the hardware store variety given it's not steel. Believe I see safety cables with both type of crimp and they are fine, nor am I suspect. You will also note that it's a completely different type of crimp used.

The snap hook used does not have to have a load rating stamped on it at this time. It's rating is published and safe enough for it's purpose. The company that made the safety cable will ensure the quality and compliance of stuff they sell.
In the end, I'm a buyer and not an expert on the process of manufacturered safety cables. I don't have the time nor the factory type of press needed nor do I want the liability. Instead I buy my safety cables when at all possible. Just bought another 100 this month, can't buy the parts for what I'm paying someone else to make it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back