Safety line across proscenium

Here’s a cut sheet of one option for a safety “net” for proscenium openings.

Attachments

• 628398F7-C640-47FF-839A-77A6E905E4CD.jpeg
    628398F7-C640-47FF-839A-77A6E905E4CD.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 222
  • A6770DA0-A38B-460E-BB57-47E8A06D3617.jpeg
    A6770DA0-A38B-460E-BB57-47E8A06D3617.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 208
I’ve read through the thread and am still unsure about what lies downstage of the plasterline. Is it a stage edge? Orchestra pit?
I ask because there are some very good permanent options for orchestra pits.
The front edge of my stage is about 2' DS of the plasterline. In front of that is an Orch pit that is about 52" down. Which is low enough to be an issue, but not so low I can put a net that covers the pit because it would go through the heads of my musicians.

Fundamental problem with the demi-pit is no way to put a net or tensioned wire grid over it. Access through house also effectively prevents this fall protection.
if only they had thought about this in the 30's.

I'm looking into pickle ball nets right now, they are about 21' wide which would cover almost all my 24' wide proscenium. Next length up seem to be volley ball but i'm not sure where to put the extra 3-4' of net... though I guess it doesn't have to be taught just the ropes do. or maybe I could trim the edge and reinforce it at the length I want.

if only they had thought about this in the 30's.

I'm looking into pickle ball nets right now, they are about 21' wide which would cover almost all my 24' wide proscenium. Next length up seem to be volley ball but i'm not sure where to put the extra 3-4' of net... though I guess it doesn't have to be taught just the ropes do. or maybe I could trim the edge and reinforce it at the length I want.
Get the setup from Incord. Simple, fits, complete.

Get the setup from Incord. Simple, fits, complete.
I couldn’t agree more. DGotlieb, I would say your only other alternative would be a temporary roof edge protection system. Whatever you choose, get something professionally engineered specifically for fall protection. Your home brew options, while economical and well intended, will do little to mitigate your liability in the event of an accident.

I like a sign on each back stage entry door: DANGEROUS conditions ahead: open pit, falls over 3ft possible, DO NOT ENTER.

At our PAC we have a white rope we stretch across the proscenium when the hydraulic pit is down below stage level. The only time it remains down is during a show run. As the theaters are not generally accessible from back stage (locks, keys, alligators in a moat, etc) only city employees, contractors, and stage hands have access to the stages. We also have more light on stage after hours than just a ghost light, too.

I like a sign on each back stage entry door: DANGEROUS conditions ahead: open pit, falls over 3ft possible, DO NOT ENTER.

At our PAC we have a white rope we stretch across the proscenium when the hydraulic pit is down below stage level. The only time it remains down is during a show run. As the theaters are not generally accessible from back stage (locks, keys, alligators in a moat, etc) only city employees, contractors, and stage hands have access to the stages. We also have more light on stage after hours than just a ghost light, too.
@TimMc What about fire fighters in your neighborhood, have they been in for any special familiarization tours?
When our 2,183 seat soft-seater opened in the fall of 1973, all of Hamilton, Ontario's fire fighters were given two full tours approximately a week apart; an initial tour, then a second tour once they'd had a few days to mull things over and conjure queries: Six to eight firemen and their chiefs were paraded through our backstage at a time until every fire fighter had had two full tours and all their queries answered.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Reactions: Nic
@TimMc What about fire fighters in your neighborhood, have they been in for any special familiarization tours?
When our 2,183 seat soft-seater opened in the fall of 1973, all of Hamilton, Ontario's fire fighters were given two full tours approximately a week apart; an initial tour, then a second tour once they'd had a few days to mull things over and conjure queries: Six to eight firemen and their chiefs were paraded through our backstage at a time until every fire fighter had had two full tours and all their queries answered.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Our PAC is 51 years old and I've only been there the last 22 years. If there was a tour it was before my time or when I was not present. I know the FD had a say in removing the fire hoses - better to get out than play amateur firefighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back