Wireless Samson Concert 99 and Other Low-Budget Wireless Systems

Roma V

Does anybody have any experience with the Samson Concert 99 Wireless System with the earset? Can you speak to its sound quality and durability?

I'm looking for lower-budget wireless systems for a community theatre, and the Samson Concert 99 wireless system looks very inexpensive for what it promises, but I can't seem to find out what warrants the lower price tag. The SE10 seems to be a fine earset and there doesn't seem to be anything glaringly lower-quality about the transmitter or receiver based on the paperwork I've found online. The reviews I have read say that it is much better than the Samson Concert 88 system. Is there something I'm missing or is this just a wireless system for a good price?

Do you have any other recommendations for wireless systems that include a beltpack tansmitter, a rack-mount receiver, and a single-ear headworn microphone? I'd like to be able to run at least 8, but ideally 10, microphones at the same time and am looking for systems under around $600.

Since there are no replies yet, I throw out my 2cents, which is admittedly limited here, since I have never used this brand or product directly.

I would not expect exceptionally high quality from these mics, but that does not sound like your main goal. They will likely function fine, but my experience with this level of product would suggest the mics themselves might not have a lot of durability, but the packs will be fine if taken care of properly. The cost is low, and there is a rebate right now also, which is enticing.

If you have never set up frequencies before, I would caution you to talk to a knowledgeable pro before purchase. The instructions are showing 7 channels per band, although multiple bands are an option, you have a potential for more or less, depending on your area. You will have to steer around a lot of other noise in those available frequency spaces. Scanning the instructions quickly leads me to believe they will not be much help in this area.

Your budget is more than double what this mic is showing for right now, and there are a lot of offerings from Sennheiser, Shure, as well as several others that have known durability and reliability within your price range. I have had good luck with AKG wms470's but I know there are others that would steer you toward the brands listed above. I would encourage you to compare with these.

Hopefully someone with more direct experience with this type of product will respond soon. Good luck!

If you can actually spend $600 per unit. Sure SLX might be one of the better choices for the price. https://www.shure.com/americas/products/wireless-systems/slx-systems/slx14-93

Before you go just buying stuff, I recommend you get in contact with a local production house or install company. There is a TON of crap floating around in the air these days. There may be entire bands that are completely packed with no room of any wireless mics, TV stations, and other sources, that might limit what bands you choose. A good company can get you the right bands, a correctly setup Antenna combiner, and show you how to re-scan can mic frequencies, probably for the same price as buying the stuff online, and then struggling to put it together and make it all work correctly.

I would avoid companies like Samson, they do not generally, make, design, or support professional products, but I have not seen any of thier gear in a long time. Shure and Sennheiser are really the two big names in wireless.

Maybe someone from the DC area can recommend a good company.

In general,
-look for UHF,
-I would stay under 600mhz, because that is the next frequency range to be sold off.
-true diversity receiver
-the omnidirectional 93 that comes with the unit I linked to is pretty decent and is used a lot in the hair, over the ear on the cheek , and lapel (and its basically free with the beltpack). It will not perform like an E6 though. Countryman E6 is pretty standard for ear worn mikes, but are about $400 on thier own. There may be some decent alternatives that are less expensive in the $1-200 range.

I don't think you will find it in the price range, but If you ever travel with these mics, or plan to expand to many more channels, I would want them to be network able, so you can re-scan as a group.

Personally, I prefer the Audio Techinica 3000's because you can equip a -6 db pad on the transmitter.

Personally, I prefer the Audio Techinica 3000's because you can equip a -6 db pad on the transmitter.

Most transmitters have similar functionality - the SLX being discussed has a switchable 10dB pad...

The Samson equipment is probably fine for running 1-3 mics. The problem is that they do not specify how many systems can run together. The maximum number of systems is what differentiates more expensive receivers from less costly ones. That Samson offers no advice on that and no frequency coordination tools is troubling. Stick with brands like Shure, Sennheiser, or Audio Technica for wireless, and buy equipment that will grow as much as you'll need in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back