Sanity Check on New ETC Cobalt/Nomad Setup

Jeff Lelko

Greetings, I cross-posted this over in the ETC Community but wanted to ask here too since I know there's a decent number of us ETC users lurking around...

I'm in the process of setting up a new system to run Cobalt via Nomad and wanted to get a sanity check on this to make sure I'm not missing anything or making any incorrect assumptions.

I've already got my 12 Universe Key for Nomad along with a Universal Fader Wing - both of which previously ran on a ThinkPad laptop which finally gave out this year. My goal is to replace the PC with an iMac (likely 21.5") since the rest of my business computers/tablets are Apple...plus that way I can double-purpose with QLab. Since to my understanding the Universal Fader Wing can only be used with Cobalt on Windows I'd Boot Camp the iMac to run Nomad on Windows 10 with the wing and either ArtNet or my Gadget II for DMX output.

My question - does anyone see any issues with carrying out the above plan? Namely I'm looking for unseen compatibility issues, but any input will be much appreciated! As an aside, I own enough other Congo/Cobalt hardware that I'm not interested in switching to a new console ecosystem at this time - just to replace my old ThinkPad with a newer machine.

Thanks!
-Jeff

That’s correct Jay. I should have clarified that it’d be an either/or situation.

While the primary purpose would be to run Nomad it’d be nice to have the backup capability should my MacBook Pros that usually handle audio duty be out of service or need to work elsewhere. That, or I run lighting on my Congo Kid and let the iMac handle QLab for a particular job... The company I own does a wide variety of work, so the more parallel paths I can have available the better. Thanks for the pointer though!

Only cause I have one I no longer need/use because of a new job

Such an underrated console. I never had the temptation to turn an Express into a museum piece and make a coffee table out of it but I would definitely do that with a Congo series console. Love that series.

Definetly underappreciated. I also loved the software and so I bought a console of my own! Definetly got good use out of it for many shows

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and conversation! Apologies for not getting back to this post sooner - it's been a busy past two weeks for me and I'm not a frequent flier on this board.

Yes, Cobalt is definitely underrated. I wish it had taken off more in the USA prior to ETC buying Hog 4, but I know the busking market can be tough to break into outside of the established players.

The prospect of buying a Congo Jr. is tempting, but I have to agree with Mike and say that at this point in time I can't justify spending new money on the platform. I already have all the ETC bits I need to build the new Nomad setup, so it's just the purchase of the iMac which as we know can always find work in entertainment. When the time comes to retire my Congo Kid and Cobalt Nomad I'll probably have to make the tough choice between Hog 4 or MA3, but I'm hoping to get at least another 3-5 years out of the board and then see where things stand.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back