saw horses / work tables

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
By the way, was walking about the scene shop where I work last week, they don't get it in saw horses. Here were these bulky old school ones.

In the photo is what past scene shops I have worked in use, much less what's in my garage.

Very strong yet folds up for really easy storage. Key to the construction of them is soft flat style braces, good quality hinges and thru bolting with T-Nuts for at least half the holes.

Attachments

• saw horse.jpg
    saw horse.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
There was something funny with that photo, I cropped it out.

Last edited:
Bucknell has a very good supply of the folding ones, as two people (group project) in the Entertainment Technology class have to build them, so we get 8 new ones every other year. Needless to say, there's a good supply of them around our theater. Really nice to have, and they can be folded up and put between prop cabinets in the SL wing, metal mesh and tables storage in the SR wing, and against the wall in large quantities down in the scene shop. We usually use a roundover bit on the edges to make them look nice, and often give them a good sanding as well.

And then the paints and props crew uses them and they're never seen looking nice

echo the class project aspect of that style. Ever fall term the stagecraft class turns out between 15 and 22 halfs. Ones that do not score above 20 out of 25 find there way into the dumpster and the rest get set aside to be built during slow times, because its a project studnets have to write their name on them and people get pride when they are using the saw horse they built- untill it breaks in which case they get hassled about it.

There was something funny with that photo, I cropped it out.

That was the old city shop... wonder what was funny in cropping out. cool thanks. This was photos also taken in the day... back with my Cannon Rebel camera, scanned into the computer and inserted into photo album. At times I could do impressive stuff if I tinkered with it long enough. These days... not a chance.

Last edited:
Used to have a ton of those style sawhorses at Acme. We also had a bunch of steel holders for them that casters so you could roll around a whole rack of them when you needed a bunch on the setup floor.

Amazing whats seemingly standardized - worked at three scene shops myself that had them, yet where I currently am, they don't. Will soon if my hint to the master carpenter has a kernel of spark in him. Tired of going to the "fabrication" shop and not having a work table to get done what they don't have time to do for me. Love this type of saw horse.

Thats pretty much exactly what we have here too. Nifty.

I have my tech crew build saw horses at the beginning of each year. Not the folding kind, just basic A-frames. I show them how to build one, then leave them the prototype and let them have at it. It's a great way to get comfortable with the tools and the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back