Scaffolding Death

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com | Worker dies in accident after wrestling event in Southaven

Crew member breaking down TNA's Slammiversary Set.

Folks enough is enough...be safe out there.

The two men involved in the scaffolding collapse that left one of them dead and another injurd were standing at opposite ends of the same scaffolding, taking down TNA's lighting over the entrance stage when the scaffolding collapsed, reported The Memphis Commercial Appeal this morning.

The Appeal was quoting Deputy Chief Steve Pirtle of the Southaven Police Department in regards to how the incident occurred shortly after the Slammiversary PPV had gone off the air.

The man who died from his injuries worked for Christie Lites of Orlando, Florida, according to the newspaper article, so he was not a TNA employee but a sub-contractor used by their production staff. The initial WMC-TV report listed him as a TNA employee. The other man, who reportedly lost a thumb in the fall, works for local Crew One Productions.

TNA's staff and wrestlers were traveling this morning from Memphis to Orlando for tonight's scheduled Impact taping. According to one source, most of the TNA staff and performers had already left the venue at the time of the incident.

A message left for TNA's Director of Public Relations by PWInsider.com this morning has not yet been returned.

To read the Memphis Commercial Appeal report, click here.

Last edited:
A 911 call was placed at approximately 10:45 p.m. ET. As we reported earlier both men were taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto. While the names of both men still haven’t been released it should be noted that neither was an employee of TNA Entertainment, LLC. The man who died worked for Christie Lites, a stage lighting business focused on rentals and production, of Orlando, Florida. The other man worked for Crew One Productions, which has offices in Memphis, Chattanooga, Nashville and Atlanta, according to its Web site.
Dang...this one is close to home folks...we do a lot of buisness with Christie.

Please see this post in the Announcements forum.

RIP, Angy.

As Derekleffew has posted a memorial post in another thread, let's take this thread to discuss what happened. I'd love to hear any more info that comes out about how, exactly, a scaffolding collapses. As Derek posted, the deceased individual was an extremely safety conscious person, how is it that the scaff collapsed? Was the weight of the whole truss rig dropped onto it ? Was it improperly assembled ? any further info would be useful towards preventing such accidents in the future.

It just seems to me that more and more of these things are happening latelly. Not a good thing at all. There are still WAY to many people who are in a hurry to do things more quickly, instead of safely.

~Dave

From what I can discern Dave...this is an instance of where someone who did do things safely got hurt/killed because of someone else doing something quickly.

I haven't read a lot about this, but it sounded to me like something fell and struck the scaffold the deceased were on. I didn't think the cause has really been established yet and I don't think it's appropriate to speculate.

"He was standing on some kind of beam, taking down the lights, when the beam collapsed," Pounders said. "He fell 25 to 30 feet and struck his head on the concrete floor.

Along with Derek's (a friend of the deceased) comments from another thread I stand by my previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back