Scene Shop Air Compressors?

I've got a couple of single roller stands like that. They are very handy. The ones I have, I beleive I got them at Home Depot, can also be locked off so the rollers don't roll.

Last edited:
Yeah I've got a couple of those single rollers at home. I just like the idea of a roller unit big enough to support a whole sheet of 3/4. I don't have to fight it at all to rip it. Say you are doing a 24" rip. Just line the roller stand up with the center of the blade. Throw the board on rollers and wiggle it until you get it positioned correctly and push... Seems WAY easier on the back.

Yeah I'm just being lazy.

Yeah I've got a couple of those single rollers at home. I just like the idea of a roller unit big enough to support a whole sheet of 3/4. I don't have to fight it at all to rip it. Say you are doing a 24" rip. Just line the roller stand up with the center of the blade. Throw the board on rollers and wiggle it until you get it positioned correctly and push... Seems WAY easier on the back.

Yeah I'm just being lazy.

Shoot I just hold the sheet vertical with one hand and run the skill saw down the center with the other there ya go 24" rip. Or so.

Panel Saw anyone? They are great... as long as they are kept square.

Yeah they are great for cutting big stuff... not so great for little stuff. The "drop" of wood can be dangerous when ripping. And you can't do fancy bevel cuts or dado cuts. In a perfect world we would all have two... and a 200 square foot shop.

I think I might have found "the one". This compressor from Dewalt looks like a winner. Smaller than the Porter Cable I was looking at above by 28 pounds. More powerful at 200 psi/5.4 scfm @ 90 psi. They claim you can run a 1/2 " impact wrench for 45.38 seconds without dropping below 90psi. It's quieter at 78 db... which is pretty quite as power tools go. Heck it's even priced about $20 less.

I think I might have found "the one". This compressor from Dewalt looks like a winner. Smaller than the Porter Cable I was looking at above by 28 pounds. More powerful at 200 psi/5.4 scfm @ 90 psi. They claim you can run a 1/2 " impact wrench for 45.38 seconds without dropping below 90psi. It's quieter at 78 db... which is pretty quite as power tools go. Heck it's even priced about $20 less.
That would do well providing air for a cup gun spraying varnish or a clear coat too. it looks good. Being from Dewalt it should have a good warranty, and it's probably manufactured by Cambell-Hausefeld.

That would do well providing air for a cup gun spraying varnish or a clear coat too. it looks good. Being from Dewalt it should have a good warranty, and it's probably manufactured by Cambell-Hausefeld.

Yeah I went over to Lowes tonight and there it was. Pretty impressive for only a 15 gallon tank. They actually have a low wide 4.5 gallon version that has almost exactly the same specs. Pretty cool trick cramming all that airpressure in a small 4.5 gallon tank.

Decided I could easily spend $2000 on a permanent mount compressor and plumbing... and that just doesn't make sense. Plus those 60 gallon tanks take up a lot of space too. Suppose I could stash it in the costume shop or green room... hmmm... nah. This little guy will handle just about everything except a heavy duty sprayer. Plus with a tank that small it's no big deal to just shut if off and leave the drain valve open between jobs. And for a $1000 I can get this, a stapler, a finish nailer, and a brad nailer. Save the other $1000 for initial lumber inventory stock up.

Pretty cool trick cramming all that airpressure in a small 4.5 gallon tank.

The tank size doesn't affect the output pressure. It just affects the amount of time that you have compressed air available between the cycling of the motor. And that's a function of the air flow rate and pressure setting of the tool.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back