School rigging

NewChris

I am currently at a high school that opened in the early 1970's. The auditorium has not had many updates and I "think" the rigging is all original. The problem is no one at the school knows how to use the rigging. We think we know what it does, but aren't sure if it works or if it is safe. I took some photos so I could get some help figuring out the system.
The first photo is the bar that holds the ropes. The next one shows the counter weight (I think). the it has the point were the ropes start to go along the ceiling. The last one has the bar that we think can be raised or lowered. Its the straight beam.
November13 018.jpg

Attachments

• November13 019.jpg
    November13 019.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 564
  • November13 020.jpg
    November13 020.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 608
  • November13 021.jpg
    November13 021.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 552
Chris,
Not to sound dramatic, but based on those photos, that is some VERY very dangerous rigging. You need to have a professional rigger come into your space ASAP and determine how best to fix the problems. I would go as far as to close the stage until that rigging can be fixed.

Regards,
Ethan

I thought it didn't look safe. Unfortunately there is no way for me to close the stage. All of that is at the very back of the stage so no one really is every under it. I am definently going to try to get something done about that then. How do I find a professional in my area?

Look in the yellow pages or Google or what-ever you have in your are to find a theatrical equipment supplier. They may be willing to come and due a survey of you facility for free as a way to get to sell you gear and to develop a business relationship. They may also know who in the area is capable of looking at you facility. If you are far off the beaten path yo may have to pay mileage and a fee.

Yah, it looks like someone got a hold of a rigging catalog and thought I could make that work, which is rarely a good thing.

Since your profile says you're 15 I would think the best thing to do is express your safety concerns to your teacher. If they completely blow you off or don't understand why it's unsafe (the words "it's never been a problem before" are a particular pet-peeve of mine) then there are professionals on this site that can help you explain to them why this is a problem.

I concur with others. This is crap rigging and should be taken out of service and no one should be allowed under it. Get a professional to look at it and send a letter to the Owner.

Yup, I will definently talk to my advisor. We have a tech week next week so it will probably be after that. I will start mentioning it to try to find someone/ contact someone.

Seems to be a super power these days, but especially after all this feedback (of which I agree, kill it with fire) use your common sense and refuse to use it during that tech week unless its completely un-avoidable, but even then safety the bejeebus outta everything

Currently the rigging isn't used for anything. I want to learn how to use it for future shows. I definently like the idea of killing it with fire.

Currently the rigging isn't used for anything. I want to learn how to use it for future shows.

it may not be used for "anything" but it is still hanging over students heads and could come down with somone under it or when someone attempts to work with it.

is that a bent pipe hanging in your 021 photo?

get a rigger in there ASAP no student should be working near that stuff

it may not be used for "anything" but it is still hanging over students heads and could come down with somone under it or when someone attempts to work with it.

is that a bent pipe hanging in your 021 photo?

get a rigger in there ASAP no student should be working near that stuff

I am not sure if it is supposed to be bent... I thought it was dangerous, but never thought it was this dangerous. Wow.

Home made stuff that not rated for any kind of load is always a danger. Like others have said, even it's empty and not being used it's over someone's head so if something fails or someone unites something it could drop on someone, become tangled in something else. It's the same reason you should just buy shackles from Home Depot or pulleys from a sailing store. With unrated equipment there's no way to know what the safe working load is or what something can hold after you build in the safety factor. This is why professionals like Ethan are certified, because it can easily become a danger to people's lives.

Via Tapatalk

While this is no replacement for getting a trained knowledgeable rigger you should suggest to your teacher to purchase and read the Stage Rigging Handbook, while it is no replacement for years of knowledge and experience it will give you a respected guide to understanding stage rigging.

While this is no replacement for getting a trained knowledgeable rigger you should suggest to your teacher to purchase and read the Stage Rigging Handbook, while it is no replacement for years of knowledge and experience it will give you a respected guide to understanding stage rigging.

Amen, I often wonder why directors don't undertake tech training before they are allowed to direct, would give them an insight into what can safely be done then. After thinking on this last night, I'd now be inclined to say take it down if its safe to do so. As the tech guy you'll be on the end of a berating if it breaks, indirectly yes but still, as your advisor would get it in the neck then pass that down to you knowing its unsafe, if that makes sense.

If those are fiber ropes holding a metal batten overhead, lower it to the floor and do not raise it up. Understand if you do not know the safe working load rating, the fiber rope could break and kill some one.

Knowledge is responsibility!

I don't know squat about theatre rigging, I am an arena rigger, but if it is homemade, definitely get someone to look at it. Even if it was professionally built, it is old and not inspected in a long time. To top it off, you admittedly know nothing about how to operate it so you also need to get someone to educate you guys. That may be the same company but it may mean somebody has to go to a certification class. I have been in the business all my adult life but have never flown a counterweight system so I would never try.

Amen, I often wonder why directors don't undertake tech training before they are allowed to direct, would give them an insight into what can safely be done then.

I work with and talk to quite a few HS drama teachers. Most have taken tech classes, and then taught for years and decades. Amidst the pressures of being a teacher, director, producer, baby sitter they only remember their name because everyone around them is calling it out. :)

I'm pretty sure a pro rigger would either tell you this has to be decommissioned, or that it would be very expensive to fix. I'd have the facilities dept. lower the thing to the floor, then remove and destroy all ropes, pulleys, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back