Scratched Glass Gobo.. Any way to fix this?

DJDANIEL

Ok, here is my dilemma.. I am used to using brass or steel gobos with the leko and this is the first time I am using a black and white glass gobo in the leko light.. And of course I had to put a tiny fine little dental floss thin scratch in part of the design right off the bat...

So I am wondering is there any thing I can do to fix this.. It appears to me that I might be able to use some type of ink and draw over this thin line.. Like maybe india ink? Or some type of paint.. or even a tiny piece of tape..

The main concern is that with a 750 watt bulb any of this might melt and then drip all over the rest of the design? Just a thought I had..

Looking forward to any advice on this and thank you in advance..

-Daniel

Stove pipe paint and a toothpick comes to mind. Never tried it myself.

I would first try it and see how bad it is.

Next (depending on the design, etc) I would consider a piece of muffler tape (from your local auto supply store)

Next I would try high temp paint (again from the auto store)

I want to start with fixes that are reversible.

I would first try it and see how bad it is.

Next (depending on the design, etc) I would consider a piece of muffler tape (from your local auto supply store)

Next I would try high temp paint (again from the auto store)

I want to start with fixes that are reversible.

Thank you so much guys for the advice.. High temp heat paint or that special tape sounds like the way to go.. I am off to the auto store to give this one a shot!.. :grin:

In a pinch this methods works well. Prior to touch up, be sure to gently clean the coated side of the glass gobo with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol so you don't encase some kind of 'poopies' in the paint...

thanks for the advice.. i actually have got some high temp black spray paint from an auto parts store.. supposed to be able to withstand amazing temps.. i think it must be the same deal as the stove paint.. i will be sure to clean it with rubbing alchol..

also i got a special pen from an art store that is permanent and uses india ink and i am told should withstand high temps..

now i am wondering which way to go first, i am inclined towards the paint.. but the pen sounds the easiest and the way i am least likely to screw up...

ill report back on this..

My only real concern with the pen is that it would create a "hot spot", resulting in a cracked gobo. The paint will probably transfer heat better. (Only a guess -- I've never seen or used India ink before).

There are a couple of varieties of high temp paint to be aware of. One withstands temps up to around 550 degrees, while another can handle temps up to about 1200 degrees (Fahrenheit). As the gate of even a Source Four ellipsoidal can reach temperatures over 550 degrees [http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/23958-glass-gobos-360q-not-friends.html], I'd go with the 1200 degree stuff, myself. Of course, being a small area, it may make no real difference. Since you're using a glass gobo, I'd guess (and hope) that you're using an ellipsoidal with a dichroic reflector, such as an ETC Source Four, Altman Shakespeare, Strand SL, Leviton Leo or Selecon Pacific.

Fixtures with an aluminum reflector will blow right through a glass gobo (cautionary thread referenced above).

Last edited:
Can remember seeing metal gobos glowing red on older ERS units (Al reflector), so don't underestimate the temp. Glass reflectors (S4) have really changed things as they allow the heat to pass through to the back of the fixture.

I noticed Production Advantage has something called Gobo Tape. Has anyone used this? Would it be applicable here? or is it intended for steel gobos? I assumed it would be for masking purposes, but that's just a guess.

I noticed Production Advantage has something called Gobo Tape. Has anyone used this? Would it be applicable here? or is it intended for steel gobos? I assumed it would be for masking purposes, but that's just a guess.

I'd have to wonder about anything that contains a contact adhesive. Sticky and High temp don't usually go together. Muffler tape, for example, can handle the temp of a hot muffler, but I suspect the gobo heat would be too high. Never seen the gobo tape, but might be more for blocking light leakage from the gobo slot. (Someone will probably fill in the actual info on it.)

OK, well everyone so far what has worked has been a product called VHT Flame Proof Header Paint.. This is for painting auto parts that get very hot.. The rating says that it can withstand 1300-2000 degrees fareheit...

This is a can of spray paint, and I applied it by spray painting into a little cup and then applying it with a #000 paint brush (the thinest they have).. So far it as worked...

The thing is with these glass gobos is that I didnt realize that I also had cracked the gobo, in addition to scratching it.. And the crack was very faint but has know gotten bigger.. In the scratched parts this paint has worked and I am testing it with the light right now...

Its not really a victory for me since the crack will always be seen in the "white parts" of the design, even though if it were just a scratch on the black part I believe the paint would have covered everything up.. I guess you live and you learn...

I also tried the pens.. So far I like the paint way, but a pen called DecoColor Liquid Silver Opaque Paint Marker was recommended to me by the actual group that manufactured this gobo... And it seems to work pretty nice too...

The main thing is avoiding those cracks.. I think you always gotta order two gobos when you do glass for the odd chance.. Brass or steel you can throw around the room.. I am careful now when I breathe next to a glass gobo...

Just an update.. After four or five hours left on I returned to discover that the paint has burned up or something and is gone.. So that way doesnt work... Well, better to discover it now and eat the cost than at an event... Live and learn.. I guess the key on the glass gobo is really to treat it like an delicate egg shell while fitting or in any use of it.. And have two made! .. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back