SCREW-ON to XLR

CHScrew

I was looking around in my basement and found a OLD Electro-Voice 50's style mic. It has that old unbalanced screw-on type conector on the bottom (only one wire). If I wanted to take out that screw on conector and replace it with a male XLR. Witch pin do I connect the wire to.

thanks.

-ray

Would it be possible for you to post pictures?

So is it an old 50’s EV mic, or a more recent 50’s style (but not from the 50’s) EV mic? Is there a model number or name on it?

Given your description of the connector, I am guessing that it may be of a decent vintage to warrant you holding off any plans to modify it.

It may be that you actually have a vintage mic in your hands that might be worth some money if in original condition.

Post a picture here and on other sites, or even to EV to see if you can find out some more information on exactly what you have and if it is worth anything.

Mayhem said:
Given your description of the connector, I am guessing that it may be of a decent vintage to warrant you holding off any plans to modify it.

It may be that you actually have a vintage mic in your hands that might be worth some money if in original condition.

I would not reccommend screwing around with the mic itself, making a cable the proper connections for modern use would help the selling price and allow you to use it.

Please post pics or model number
This page might help, I was able to find a spec. sheet for my newly acquired E-V 664 there.

http://www.coutant.org/contents.html

This brings up the more general topic of how to connect older, unbalanced devices to modern balanced systems. While it's always best to use a DI box to provide the best quality audio, if you don't have one available this RaneNote may be of help: http://www.rane.com/note110.html

RaneNote 110 contains practical information on how to connect virtually any two audio devices together properly without interference, humming, and the like.

It's really old. Not just old looking. It's an Electro-Voice MERCURY Model 611

Ther is another Number on it. B27690

I was think of just using the steel casing and taking apart another mic and replacing everything with new stuff???

The mic itself isn't in working condition. The on/off switch is busted out the screw-on hook-up on the borron is brocken out. I'll post a picture once I find my digital camera.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back