scrim -> lighting -> example

tbeck

Ok, my previous tech advisor ( who i am i contact w/) suggested that to do what our set designer wants, i need a scrim. Now, I am unsure on what type of scrim i want, i believe i want a very tightly woven one (sharkstooth?) to create my effect ( if you want to call it that).

Our set designer wants something similar to this for a background type thing

http://www.theatre-dance.ecu.edu/productions/BloodWedding/

(many images just to get an idea.)

How would i light this...

My thoughts:

Light w/ cyc lighting from behind (from ceiling) to get lighting effect.

To get patterns/gobo projections onto scrim, project from behind.

No light pointing at anything other than scrim from behind. (or else i will get that ghostly effect, which i dont want)

YOUR RECOMENDATIONS??

thanks

Here's some things I tend to do with scrims in terms of lighting:

depending on how big the scrim is or even the type of effect you are going for, I would light from the bottom and the top. I like this for a few reasons. First, depending on the equipment you have, by lighting from top and bottom you are sure to have an even color over the entire scrim. Second, by puting light from top and bottom, you can create several effects not to mention the blending of colors from different angles.

In terms of using gobo's on it, if you want the object to seem like it's in the distance then I would go from behind, it tends to work best with breakup patterns, etc.

Sometimes you might want a window effect for instance where it is used in the scene and it might help to have it come from the front to bring it out more.

Im sure there are more ideas floating aroud my head... I'll see what I can think of overnight.

are there any manuals or information things about scrims w/ examples of what certain lighting does for different effects?

A quick word of advise...

If lighting a scrim from behind maintain tight lighting control because any object besides the scrim that is lit will be seen by the audience.

Based on the pics you provided, you don't want a scrim. You want a cyc. A scrim you use when you want it to be opaque in on sceen and transparent in the next. When you don't ever need a curtain to be transparent, use a cyc, not a scrim. You can still light it from behind, in fact, I recommend lighting it from behind, though depending on the type and quality of cyc you have/will have, I would consider projecting the gobos on the front it they are a very specific design that has sharp edges... but only depending on the type of cyc... if you have a nice cyc you'll be able to do it from behind!

I'm also looking for recommendation on a canvas CYC material that has a high enough level of transparancy so I can wash it withcolor from behind. Any suggestions on actual material?

ok, i kind have actually answered my own question here, due to research.

ill just post my finding so it can be seen by all.

I emailed the school that put on the play and they said they used a acrylic sheet material that was white but was translucent. Now this material is very evpencive... to expencive fr me anyways.... so i went thinking and looking...

I remembered i had a catalog from a theatrical materials company so i looked in that and found favious materials that i may want to use. Currently I have chosen a white spandex cyc material that when lit, from the front or back will show the colors that are projected. So you want this catalog? The you can call or visit Rosebrand.com to get it or view directly on their website.

(i reccomend the catalog, its free, and shows pictures of all the materials sold, plus has other things as well)

trevor

I've been a Rose Brand dealer since the company started and will tell you there is no finer supplier of soft goods either raw or finished in the country.

Most theatrical suppliers shop with Rose Brand for any number of things. Nice people there, reliable product and service. Shopping locally in suppliers of their goods or with trusted sources is just as valuable as shopping direct with Rose Brand. Prices can often be the same or slightly cheaper than list price and you would save on shipping as an option.

Also in addition to Rose Brand, there is other suppliers just as good also that might be able to sell spandex and other types of panels. Amongst them I Weiss comes to mind as a secondary source amongst many like JC Hansen, Drape Kings, Grand Stage/Art Drapery, Syracuse Scenery & Stage, and Tiffin Scenic that come to mind. Not sure where we get ours from but it's probably Rosebrand.

Spandex, that's a always interesting material to deal with. Definately good luck with stretching it.

thanks for all that info i actually didnt know the naes of any other companies that did this work, nor did i look though.

anyways, i dont need it to be sretched alot just enoguh to make it taught and cover the panels we will be making so i dont think it will be a problem.

would you reccomend any other materials for this application? Currently the only other product i have seen was Smoke Out, another rosebrand material, I dont nescasarily need it to be on the ceiling but according to them it "diffuses light beautifully". lol

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back