scrim questions

katev

I need some advice on painting scrims. The only scrims I have painted have been small sections sewn into opaque muslin backdrops. Now I need to paint 2 drops that will each be suspended to where you can see all edges of them. Do you have any tips for getting started? I'm ok with the actual painting part, its just getting to that point that I need help with. Do I need to size/starch it? Can you sew pipe pockets into scrim? Do I need to do something to the edges to make it stay straight when it's hung? Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Like Derek said, I would frame them if at all possible.

You can sew pipe pockets into scrim but you've got to be good as it's really tricky work.

If these are flown peices you can run thin < 1/8" - 1/16"> aircraft cable down each side of the panel, attach the cable to both the batten and the pipe, with a bit of tension. on the outside of the scrim you can sew loops or small tabs which the cable will thread through. this will help with the "hour-glassing". As far as a pipe pocket goes, yes, typically all full stage scrims have a pipe pocket at the bottom as the scrim need to be stretched vertically and horizontally and a chian can't do that. So you have two major choices;
1. A steel or wooden frame larger that the stage picture so the edges can be masked.
2. A pipe batten with cable stretchers.
Personally I like the second, cheaper, easier. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back