Scroller issue or normal wear and tear

JChenault

About 5 years ago we did a remodel and purchased 34 Apollo smartcolor scrollers that were getting constant use. 6 months ago we got i designer who put about half of them in storage.

For the current show we re hung them. When I did the hang, one scroller had pulled itself off of the roller ( ie when homing it disconnected itself from the tape.

Since then two more scrollers have done the same thing

My question. Is this normal? What can I do in rerms of maintenance to reduce the odds of this happening again?

Thanks

Cold storage could possible make the tape adhesive brittle and the reheating making it crack.

The only thing to do would retape everything as you don’t know which section is going to break and when.

You could use this time to buy some replacement rolls and start doing some swapping. Fix what comes in and rotate some strings around.

That does sound a little odd. I have seen that happen on the old Smart Color, but not the Smart Color PRO. If the sensor was out of alignment on the old ones, they could move fast enough to rip the gel off of the tube. The PRO doesn't ever move that quickly.
I have several questions, in no particular order. Were the strings bought with the scrollers and installed by us? I would guess the tape stayed on the gel and pulled off of the tube; is there adhesive residue on the tube and is it sticky? If the strings were put on by someone on your end, what tape was used? The tape should be optically clear tape. Your local library could tell you where to get it from. I have seen gaff, duct, and scotch tape used, none of which are a good option. We use 1" tape and try to put it evenly across the gel and tube, erring on the side of more on the tube. If there isn't good contact on the tube, it could pull off.
Give me a call if it would be easier, John.

That does sound a little odd. I have seen that happen on the old Smart Color, but not the Smart Color PRO. If the sensor was out of alignment on the old ones, they could move fast enough to rip the gel off of the tube. The PRO doesn't ever move that quickly.
I have several questions, in no particular order. Were the strings bought with the scrollers and installed by us? I would guess the tape stayed on the gel and pulled off of the tube; is there adhesive residue on the tube and is it sticky? If the strings were put on by someone on your end, what tape was used? The tape should be optically clear tape. Your local library could tell you where to get it from. I have seen gaff, duct, and scotch tape used, none of which are a good option. We use 1" tape and try to put it evenly across the gel and tube, erring on the side of more on the tube. If there isn't good contact on the tube, it could pull off.
Give me a call if it would be easier, John.

Thanks for the quick reply
The unit is a smart color pro. Sorry if I was not clear.
All springs were installed by Apollo. ( ie purchased new with strings installed. Scrollers were in Apollo,boxes, etc )
In at least two of the events ( I was not there for the third) the tape stayed on the roller. In all cases it has been some kind of clear tape. ( I was in a rush and used clear packing tape the last two times).
The failure occurs when the unit is homing ( ie on power up).

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back