Scrollers (Apollo, Wybron, etc)?

we tried your ideas about a month ago and it is verified that there is a fairly large voltage drop in the line. We verified this because when we only ran 9 or less scrollers plugged in, the 9 that were plugged in changed color correctly with out having the problem.

Thanks for your continued posting-

When the Smart Color scrollers are running at their default speeds (set at '909') and the string speed is set at Quiet, the 300W PSU will provide power for all. (300W divided by 12 scrollers = 25W each) The scrollers will draw more power if running faster than default and fan speeds at full blast.

If you would prefer to keep the scroller settings as they are, a small PSU 75W can be daisychained into the circuit (via 5 pin DMX cable) to provide power for 2 of the 12 scrollers. Since the smaller 75W PSU has an incoming 5 pin connector, but no outgoing 5 pin connector- you may want to add the small PSU AFTER the PSU 300W.
This arrangement would allow you wide open fans and drive speeds with no lack of power across the circuit.

Another thing, that I am not sure if it has been mentioned, thought of, or done, is that it is best practice to make the scroller chain a loop (if you don't already). So daisy chain all of the scrollers and then the out from the last scroller back to the PSU. If you already are doing this, then nevermind.

I ordered my Apollo SmartColors on Wednesday at lunch time, and received them this morning (Friday) at the standard shipping costs. Apollo does definitely ship the same day. I have opened the boxes, but have not powered them up yet. I have a show going up tomorrow, so I will report on that Monday or Tuesday. The best part so far, the gel strings come preloaded.

Another thing, that I am not sure if it has been mentioned, thought of, or done, is that it is best practice to make the scroller chain a loop (if you don't already). So daisy chain all of the scrollers and then the out from the last scroller back to the PSU. If you already are doing this, then nevermind.
Our original set up and what the setup is now are both what you describe with the return cable from the last scroller to the PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back