Seating Riser Suggestions

Hansentd

Hi All,

I'm newly in charge of a multi-purpose space. One of the issues I'm being tasked with is new audience seating.

They get used in several configurations and we often need to clear them from the space for classes or weddings, etc.

We currently own a system of Stageright FR-2402 Fold and Roll risers.

The big pro is they can be folded and moved by one person. They actually still work well after maybe 10+ years of use.
BUT- we only have 24" and 32" heights- so we end up with multiple rows on the floor in front and then everyone complains about sightlines.

So does anyone have suggestions on audience riser systems that are easy to set up and move around?
Bonus points for systems that pack away real small- storage space is going to be a huge part of what system we're able to get.
Extra bonus points for systems that don't require a lot of complex instructions to be safe.

What other things should I be thinking about as I look for improvements?

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is you're already using what may be the best system out there.
BUT- we only have 24" and 32" heights- so we end up with multiple rows on the floor in front and then everyone complains about sightlines.
I'm afraid you may need to resign yourself that 8" and 16" will have to be "manual," i.e. decks and legs (although SR's "Z-legs" reduces the number of loose parts). I think either Sico or Wenger makes an "auto" system that starts at 12", but I wouldn't replace Stage Right's with them.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Reactions: Van
It seems like your riser height to storage / ease of set up ratio might be tricky here. Stageright stuff is great. Once you start to go higher up, you end up with exponentially greater issues of concern like proper railing and step access., wheelchair and walker seating accessibility, etc. Having to clear the room is a real big issue as most solutions available collapse in the space for storage.

Perhaps having a standardized listing of like 5 seating configurations could help you engineer a solution better? Maybe something a fabricator could help build custom units for that can be used for many different configurations? No matter what, you will want to be sure your Authority Having Jurisdiction (usually fire marshall) offers their input on it. Not only does it help to establish a relationship with them, but also gives you a great source of info to help keep you, your staff, and guests safe.

Companies like Irwin Seating and others have solutions, but none that fit all of your needs.

Good luck to you!

~Dave

All I really have to add is that another option would be Staging Concepts, now part of SightLine Commercial, they have several seating options. Your best be with either them or StageRight is to give them a call.

We have what is now Sightline. They are okay. Ours are in 16” increment, don’t know if you can get other sizes. As for set up, they are heavy, if you are going tall, you need four people. Our top height requires two people on ladders and two to pass. A fifth person is even better. It‘s somewhat flexible, we can do several different set ups in our black box.

Reactions: Van
I had a Wenger system that was about 8' high in the back row at my previous gig. They were insanely heavy, and required an army to move them around.

Stageright and Staging Concepts would be my first choice.

My university had telescopic bleachers in the union auditorium. They had at least ten rows of seating, and folded away to a frame against the walls about 3-4 feet deep. Worth investigating?

I appreciate the tag but fortunately I don’t have to flip much deck these days. My primary day-to-day is custom prop and display fabrication, and I’m more than happy to let one of our sister companies handle the decking. I think they stock the Stageright system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back