Secure the Wagons

Dreadpoet

We are currently producing Cyrano de Bergerac. I am wanting to construct a small balcony with stairs on a 4x8 castered platform for the balcony scene. My problem is this, though making a stable step unit and platform is certainly no problem...when we put an actor on top with the hole unit on a wagon we will have a safety issue due to the top-heavy nature; especially as this particular play (like many other romantic plays) has a young "stud" climb up the balcony. This of course will increases the danger of the unit falling. I need a way to secure the unit to the floor for the scene such that it is safe...but then whatever mechanism I use to attach it to the stage mustn't be too intrusive to sight-lines for obvious reasons. I'm sure some of you have dealt with this scenario...what are your suggestions?

Stage screws or slip pin hinges would require the unit to be moved with razor sharp precision in order for the hardware to align....I don't see my crew managing that.

Last spring we did the balcony from West side story. The Balcony was cantilevered and on a wagon base so as to roll out in to the scene and the actor (tony) climbed up the side. To accomplish this we used a weighted wagon base (stage pigs) to compensate for the weight of the actors. This shifts the center of gravity lower and wagon breaks on the back side held it still. Caution - be sure that the structure is designed to transfer the load properly.

Last spring we did the balcony from West side story. The Balcony was cantilevered and on a wagon base so as to roll out in to the scene and the actor (tony) climbed up the side. To accomplish this we used a weighted wagon base (stage pigs) to compensate for the weight of the actors. This shifts the center of gravity lower and wagon breaks on the back side held it still. Caution - be sure that the structure is designed to transfer the load properly.

Did you figure twice the weight of the actor or what?

Did you figure twice the weight of the actor or what?

It depends on how you cantilever. We had about about 800# on the rear 2/3rds to offset the max of 250# on the front 1/3rd.

If you are not cantilevered, then the height is your only issue. If two actors are a total of 300# at 8' off the floor then adding 300# to the wagon moves center to about 4' off the floor. Much more stable. Someone with better math could help you determine how much to add. Again make sure you are bolting supports to transfer loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back