Securing Pipe to Channel Iron Grid

If you are still looking for a clamp, try a Korns clamp. They are meant to secure conduit to the bottom of beams and are quite sturdy.
It might be a bit of a pain to tighten the bolts if you use it upside down but you could replace the U bolt with bolts and some sort of bridge and tighten it from the top.

proxy.php

If you are still looking for a clamp, try a Korns clamp. They are meant to secure conduit to the bottom of beams and are quite sturdy.
It might be a bit of a pain to tighten the bolts if you use it upside down but you could replace the U bolt with bolts and some sort of bridge and tighten it from the top.

proxy.php

Nice. Basically the same thing I was thinking except with a muffler clamp.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, here is what I came up with:

proxy.php

And on the grid... (will be space way farther apart, this was just a test....)

proxy.php

Its a 1 1/2" rigid conduit clip, 1/2" x 5" hold down bolt, and a knob w/ brass insert. Still playing with the number of spacers. A 3/4" spacer is the sweet spot so the knob does not hit the conduit clip... I only bought 1/2". They go on pretty quick and hold very tight. Our grid is 3"x1.5" channel iron. First show we get to try them on is next week. Sure beats the hell out of trying to lash them down.

What about using either a piece of flat stock, tube, or shallow unistrut to span between the two clamps below the spacer or instead of the spacer? It would make it harder for a part to fall between the ribbons, and ensure that two clamps are always used.
My $.02, but keep in mind, I'm an LD.
JP

And on the grid... (will be space way farther apart, this was just a test....)

proxy.php

Its a 1 1/2" rigid conduit clip, 1/2" x 5" hold down bolt, and a knob w/ brass insert. Still playing with the number of spacers. A 3/4" spacer is the sweet spot so the knob does not hit the conduit clip... I only bought 1/2". They go on pretty quick and hold very tight. Our grid is 3"x1.5" channel iron. First show we get to try them on is next week. Sure beats the hell out of trying to lash them down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the vote for a safety of some kind.

Maybe a 2 hole plate below the spacer and a short fixture safety? I'd hate to drill the clamp itself. Even a hunk of tie line under the knob would be better than nothing.

Looks great Footer! Without knowing how your theatre operates, is it necessary for the clips that you've made to be independent from eachother and the pipe? It would seem to be safer and faster to semi-permanently attach the clips to lengths of pipe, then you can easily place the pipe where you need it to go, rotate the hook underneath the grid slats, and tighten down. This means you only have one unit of hardware to worry about, rather than needing to deal with three loose pieces, and also eliminates the possibility of dropping anything through the grid. You may still need to move the clamps around, especially when working in close proximity to obstructions like blocks or walls, but having the hooks being able to stay attached to the pipe as you move it would seem to be a big advantage.

Looks great Footer! Without knowing how your theatre operates, is it necessary for the clips that you've made to be independent from eachother and the pipe? It would seem to be safer and faster to semi-permanently attach the clips to lengths of pipe, then you can easily place the pipe where you need it to go, rotate the hook underneath the grid slats, and tighten down. This means you only have one unit of hardware to worry about, rather than needing to deal with three loose pieces, and also eliminates the possibility of dropping anything through the grid. You may still need to move the clamps around, especially when working in close proximity to obstructions like blocks or walls, but having the hooks being able to stay attached to the pipe as you move it would seem to be a big advantage.

Does there exist a batten clamp that'll fit 2" Sch. 80?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back