Seeking info for EDI Troubadour

Hello, I've been lurking for a while, but I can't find any information on this unit. It's a EDI Troubadour. Does anyone have any information or know where to look?

IMG-20101215-00040.jpg

Here a link to the manual: http://www.columbus.k12.nc.us/troubadourplus.pdf
Basically it is a two scene preset when run manually or a memory board with a 99 cue limit.

Thanks a bunch! I found that link earlier today but wasn't very sure if it was the same thing.

Yes, it's fully functional as far as I can tell. It's running 12 channels(43.2kw) with and old EDI Scrimmer. IMG-20101215-00042.jpg

I have an original console for the Scrimmer (2 scene, analog, florescent light, etc.) IMG-20101215-00038.jpgbut am hoping that this will work for preset scenes. Time to study.

I got this dropped into my lap 5 years after the only person that knew anything about it passed away and I know nothing, so I have a huge learning curve. The place has no money to upgrade at this time, so I'm trying to work with what I have.

Those are really easy consoles to learn. Many of us around here cut our teeth using gear like that. It doesn't surprise me that it still works. EDI made some really bullet proof equipment over the years. Since they were made just down the hill in Oregon, there is an unusually high percentage of old EDI gear here in the Pacific Northwet. I've seen a lot of it still being used in schools and small theaters.

What sort of space are you using this gear in? What are you trying to run with it? Let us know if you have any questions.

Hey Welcome to CB! Be sure to stop by the new members forum and introduce yourself. I've spent many nights camping at both Grayland and Twin Harbors. Dang, now you've got me thinking about Little Richard's Donuts. Send me a dozen Old fashioned Buttermilk Bars and I'll answer any questions you have!

If you use it in manual mode it is very simple to run. As Gafftaper says many of us ran this type of thing for years. That is about the third generation of gear I started with. :) I have never run EDI but I have run similar gear. If I read the manual correctly you can have a 99 cue cue stack and a series of eight stacks.

Funny you mention Grayland, Gafftaper, as this setup is at the Grayland Community Hall. A pretty small stage in an 80 year old building. 3 channels for 6 ellipsoidals, 6 channels for some pars and Fresnels, and 3 channels for a border strip on the backdrop. I have a play approaching in the coming months so I need to get it all working by then. This week and last I have been rebuilding the ellipsoidals as they all require cleaning, sockets, and safe wiring.

Next time you're down here, let me know, I'll buy you those donuts and show you the equipment.

Im hoping to get down there this summer. If I do I'll definitely contact you.

Hmm, the circuit boards have 1981 printed on them. I think this is an earlier model than the manual that was posted above. I'm trying to locate the battery backup since it's apparently not working. Any ideas? or does anyone have first hand experience with this unit? I also found some blown circuitry, guess I'll be getting the soldering iron warmed up.

PS Board.jpg

I've seen one- the story I was told was that it never worked right, even when it was new. It would start flickering through the cue stack by itself. They tried to get it fixed, to no avail. They got an ETC Express as soon as they could.

Hey I'm in the same boat, man. I am running the EDI Troubadour as well, and don't have any information on it either. If you find anything, give me a holler.

I used the troubador plus which looks like the same board but just bigger version (like the different express boards). The manual above is probably fine for the troubadour as the functions are most likely the same as the plus as far as the codes go. I gave the board to my friend who still has it, but it still worked. Is there a monitor output for that board?? Cause it only works with an EGA monitor which is going to be hard to find. I still remember some stuff if I can be of any help, by the way VERY EASY to use!!

Last edited:
I used the troubador plus which looks like the same board but just bigger version (like the different express boards). The manual above is probably fine for the troubadour as the functions are most likely the same as the plus as far as the codes go. I gave the board to my friend who still has it, but it still worked. Is there a monitor output for that board?? Cause it only works with an EGA monitor which is going to be hard to find. I still remember some stuff if I can be of any help, by the way VERY EASY to use!!

As far as I have been able to figure out, it doesn't have a video monitor output. Thanks, once I play a little bit more with the board, I am sure I'll be asking plenty of questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back