Selecon 1200MSR Followspot Lux...?

Hi all,

I've been trudging through Selecon's website, and I came across a rather interesting fact on their 'Performer' range of Followspots. Under the 2500w Performer, it has the following candela theoreticals:
8° - 504,700cd
10° - 520,200cd
14° – 323,400cd

That seems fine enough, but under the 1200w MSR Performer, the figures are incredibly inflated:
5.5° - 3,335,100cd
9° - 1,293,9007,500cd

Can that be correct? Under the 9 degree one, it's twelve billion, nine hundred and ninety three million, 7 thousand, five hundred candela. It seems incredibly high, however if you do the conversion into lux for a range of say 30 meters, it comes up with 3700lux, which is believable.

Am I jumping at something that is normal? Or is it a bit odd?
If I am jumping at nothing, could someone with some fantastic experience explain to me the difference between the 2500w and the 1200w MSR is, and why the lower wattage followspot is more powerful? (I'm thinking the 1200w is a discharge, rather than the 2500w being standard halogen/tungsten?)

Thank you for all your wisdom (as always),

No X.

It was designed around the 1200 MSR and is a great light, however they tried to make a 2500 tungsten version which is a rubbish light, it gets very hot to operate and the light output is dreadful.I have a client with a pair of them who hates them.

I too, suspect something is amiss. The narrower fixture should always have more Beam Candle Power than a wider unit, or the same unit at a wider setting. I can't find any mention of a 2500W incandescent unit on Selecon's site, but for the 1200W MSR, I assume you're speaking of the Performer Toru, Rua, and Tahi units?

For what it's worth, I was unimpressed with the followspots Selecon had on display at LDI. Optically, I much prefer the Robert Juliat fixtures, and operationally, will always prefer units from Strong and Lycian.

They dropped the 2500w unit, mainly because it was so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back