Self mixing console?

Briguy90

Is there any development or thought in this field? I want to know if any company or such is trying to make a console that self mixes with out human interaction.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Biamp makes 2 lines of DSPs with automixing built in. I've used these in several places with control built in so that when audio comes from the actual console it automatically mutes the automix outputs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just about all of the DSP manufacturers have automixers as a block in their software (BSS, Peavey, Biamp, QSC, Polycom, etc...). Many manufacturers have small-format rack-mount automixers as well, like the Shure SCM810 or the Peavey S-4.

dwthomas - Biamp is up to 3 now, Nexia, Audia, and Tesira. Maybe 4 if you consider Vocia too.

Whether it a gating mixer with a fixed or adaptive threshold or a gain sharing mixer, to me "self mixing" goes well beyond what an automixer does. For example, when two leads get close an automixer might adjust some levels but I don't believe they will turn one mic down and leave the other up in order to avoid phasing. When you can get a box that knows when to do that, can tell when someone is about to cough and mute their channel, knows when the pastor is approaching the pulpit to turn down their wireless and turn up the pulpit mic, fires manual cues at the right time, properly pans a source and so on then you'll have what I'd consider actual self mixing. To me reacting to a situation before it happens, reacting to sensory (visual, aural, tactile, etc.) cues, judging expected human response to a situation or change, etc. as well as simple subjective issues such as determining what sounds 'right' are the difficult aspects to potentially automate. Maybe we'll get there some day.

so i was introduced to harman's product line since I was using dsps for corporate setups (conference rooms, automated spaces) however I had an event space where from time to time I want better control over the system (alot of moving parts sometimes things change more on the fly than the old system was designed for). we put in bss dsp's that handle all the inputs from our shures, and cd players that are located in our av room. we have it set and we have crestron control system running the simple events (events we don't need a dedicate tech for) and then for the larger events harman has what they call bluenet. That allows us to plug a soundcraft mixer into the bss mixer (over cat5) and take control over the inputs and outputs. the other benefit since the space was large and there no dedicated control room (the av room just houses the equipment) we can easily place the mixer whereever we need as long as we have a cat5 cable that we can indirectly patch to our bss dsp.

If you want to cut some costs you could remove the crestron and just work with the bss and soundcraft board to create some interesting setups

Kevlar, very true as I always for some reason forget about vocia since I primarily work with audia and nexia. Another person generally handles the vocia setups and leaves me to my happy corner of the market lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I got to play with the vocia, it looks like a nice system. Hell, I'm Audia and Tesira certified, and I've never touched them outside of the training class haha.

Dan0010, that really isn't a self or auto mixing setup. The one problem I have with a setup like this, is that your soundcraft board has 0 control over the preamps using BLULink (not bluenet), unless you're using a separate computer running london architect or a crestron panel with external preamp controls. Same problem I have with some of the CobraNET stuff. Granted, for most people this isn't a problem, but I prefer to have control over that kind of stuff at my fingertips, not on a separate computer with a trackpad, or a couple buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back