Sending video signal through a couple of walls.

Markertek should have some wireless HDMI, if you can handle their non-consumer pricing. I believe they'll also have HDMI-Cat5/6 baluns in their catalog.

If you lift the BNC off that Sewell converter that's patched to the Extender VGA in, and you hook the BNC to a composite monitor, what sort of picture do you get?

If it's decent, then yeah, something is probably misconfigured in the extender.

It's also possible that the converter is for some reason configured to run an unnecessarily higher scan rate than NTSC requires, and while the monitor will track it, it's mediocre at that scan rate, in which case, finding a way to lock the converter down to 640x480 would be your next move.

I assume the Extender has a matching unit near the remote monitor?

And where did HDMI go? :)

And where did HDMI go? :)
No HDMI anywhere. To clarify the whole run...
The camera , a fancy Sony robotic wall mounted security camera, has a bnc jack on the back. This runs 10' to an Extron splitter/amplifier. Those signals run to various TVs backstage 100'-150' away. We have a bnc splitter on the back of one of those TVs, plugged into the Sewell converter. Then 15'-20' of 15 pin VGA cable which plugs into the Extron wall plate/amplifier for a final 100' run to the TV.

No HDMI anywhere. To clarify the whole run...
The camera , a fancy Sony robotic wall mounted security camera, has a bnc jack on the back. This runs 10' to an Extron splitter/amplifier. Those signals run to various TVs backstage 100'-150' away. We have a bnc splitter on the back of one of those TVs, plugged into the Sewell converter. Then 15'-20' of 15 pin VGA cable which plugs into the Extron wall plate/amplifier for a final 100' run to the TV.

All the things I said earlier, plus unplug the tee from the TV: it and the sewall may be double terminating that run.

Pro monitors have a manual switch to lift the termination resistor inside, fixing this problem. If removing the T connector from the monitor fixes the signal at the other end of the VGA cable, this is your problem... and if you don't have the switch, you will need to replace the local monitor with one which does. Or, refigure the entire extra link.

It is an HD TV and I originally thought that the camera was sending an HD image into the system. But alas once I got up to the camera and got to the amplifier on the back of the rack I found out it was just a bnc from the source.

It is an HD TV and I originally thought that the camera was sending an HD image into the system. But alas once I got up to the camera and got to the amplifier on the back of the rack I found out it was just a bnc from the source.
proxy.php
[URL]
[/URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkb

Often there are penetrations through concrete walls for plumbing or conduits. there may be enuf room to share. use plenum grade cable.
It may be worth your while to explore a bit.

Have you tried the old trick of a temporary cable out of the DA, across the floor, through the door and out to the lobby to check the base image quality?

I just plugged a laptop into the wall mount Extron 15 pin VGA amplifier which goes directly to the TV. Unfortunately the TV only said it was unable to display that video format.

Anybody know why?

Sure. Cause ... well, actually, there's probably a couple of reasons.

Time to fall back on "diagnose it one step at a time".

Will the laptop drive the HDTV directly? If so, reset it temporarily to 640x480 display size and confirm it still does.

Then move it to the other end of the extender, and see if 640x480 works from there, too. I don't know that we have any way yet to be sure your extender link is actually functional...

If you can get both of those working, then plug the Sewall converter back in, and try lifting the tee from the monitor, as I suggested above.

Note that the HDTV will likely *tell you* what scan rate it's at, when you first switch it to VGA input, so if they Sewall is at the wrong (too high) speed, you can find out -- although there may not be any way to change it.

Thanks. I'll work on it tomorrow.

On both Windows and Mac, you should be able to change the refresh rate and resolution independently. With everything between the computer and final source, your OS probably isn't going to recognize what's connected and not be able to auto-select best settings.

For my setup, I see that I have a "Thinkpad Display 1600x900" (Max Resolution 1600x900) and a Sync Master (Max Resolution (1680x1050). I can't set resolutions outside of what each one will support.
Capture.PNG
Do you see specific product names or something like "PnP Display" or "Generic Monitor" along with whole range of resolutions from 640x480 to 2560x1440?

Or if refresh settings aren't there, look under the vendor-specific software. I'm assuming this will be a school laptop with integrated graphics. Your window might not look the same as I just ran updates:
Capture 1.PNG
Generally, this can be reached by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "Graphics Properties"

Or there's the possibility that the Extron system is manipulating the signal and just not switching to use the VGA input.

did you check the tv side. how is the tv connected? is it a rgbhv setup or just a composite? the other guy might have been using the extender to simply think that he can use the bnc to vga adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back