Sennheiser G2 EW 100 vs. Shure SLX

mbenonis

Wireless Guy
Administrator
Premium Member
Has anyone played with the Shure SLX series wireless and/or the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 series wireless? If so, can you please describe your opinion of them and which one you prefer (if you've used both)?

Well I am just starting to dive into the deeper world of live sound. So I asked a good friend and mentor of mine, Dave Levit. He is a professional sound engineer and a great teacher Below you will find his response to your question. Hope it helps.

Dave Levit said:
Hi Mike,

As always I have used both quite a bit and have an opinion on both products. They both have their strong points and depending on who is using them and the application will dictate what you need to buy. Here's the scoop:

Shure SLX is Shure's entry level, frequency agile system. Pros - frequency agile, AA battery operation, easy Transmitter/receiver setup, frequency groups are preset for optimum performance and very quick setup for multiple systems, can be configured with any of Shure's bodypack or handheld cartridges to match existing wired or wireless systems, element repairs are possible, windscreens lock onto LAVS, All rack mount hardware is included, although, a back to front antenna kit would be required to move antennae to the front of a rack mounted receiver, easy to use and position Lav clips that will handle thick clothing and are tough in general. Cons - plastic bodypack and handheld transmitters, basic reception characteristics {no long distance, multiple systems at one location will probably require antenna distribution}, 1/4 wave antennae, no frequency tunings between channels which may limit other wireless in use, some transmitter adjustments require opening of battery compartment.

Sennheiser EW100 series is Senheiser's entry level, frequency agile system. Pros - frequency agile over 1280 frequencies, wideband UHF tunability, AA battery operation, metal transmitter and receiver chassis, 1/2 wave antennae, all transmitter parameters are adjustable from outside of transmitter chassis, Awesome reception characteristics and performance with or without antenna distros with multiple systems {If possible always use antenna distros for guaranteed reception characteristics}. Cons - Bodypack elements have molded plugs that are the usual failure point and require you to replace entire element {You will need to have spare LAVS and patch cables on hand}, Lav clips have small parts that are easily lost, difficult to position quickly, and are cumbersome, windscreens do not lock onto LAVS, Optional kit required to rackmount receiver, Optional back to front antenna kit would be required to move antennae to the front of a rack mounted receiver.

In short...I like the Sennheisers for RF and physical characteristics and the Shure for matching sonic and ergonomic characteristics. If you buy either system I would recommend spare Lav mics {cable only for the Shure WL183, 4, 5} and clips. We actually have the OEM plugs to fix the Sennheisers and Shures in stock and can make fast repairs if that is the only problem. I would personally buy the Sennheiser with some spare parts to keep the show going, although, systems will cost a little more than those from Shure.

http://www.shure.com/wireless/slx/default.asp

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/category.asp?transid=cat58

If either of these links do not work go through my home page listed at the bottom, go to "Professional Audio Sales" and click the manufacturer's logos to navigate as needed.

Please feel free to contact me if there are any questions.

Very truly yours,
Dave Levit

Thanks for getting that thorough response to the question! We've had the Shure SLX's for about six months now, they're worked well for us. The only problem I've had with them is with long-range reception from the stage to the booth. Moving the receivers backstage cleared this issue up.

Btw wemeck, did I double-post this thread a long time ago, or did you split it? If it was the former, could you combine the two threads please? Thanks!

Other thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/ftopict-1227.html

mbenonis said:
Thanks for getting that thorough response to the question! We've had the Shure SLX's for about six months now, they're worked well for us. The only problem I've had with them is with long-range reception from the stage to the booth. Moving the receivers backstage cleared this issue up.

Btw wemeck, did I double-post this thread a long time ago, or did you split it? If it was the former, could you combine the two threads please? Thanks!

Other thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/ftopict-1227.html

I found it under the unanswered tab. i wil let Dave know though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back