Sennhwiesr 300 series and scanning frequencies

NickVon

The answer seems simple so i'm wondering if i'm analyzing this to much

I was looking to pick up a couple or 1 sennheiser 300 series to use it's Data connection to use sennheiser's intermod software to scan bad frequencies in my local.

Would I need a 300 series in each band A1, A, G, etc to bet the full picture. Or can any single band 300 Series see everything when performing a RF map for the environment from a computer/data end?

The receiver is going to see whatever frequencies it would be able to be programmed to, the computer connection doesn't change that. IE- your G band receiver will see the "G" range of frequencies.

for a use like that, you'd be better off with a Lectrosonics wideband receiver, but the price is probably going to be out of your budget for that use. There is this pesky little device called the RF Explorer, but I don't find it super accurate. If you're looking for a general idea it'll do the job. I always trust my receivers, assuming they're working properly. Curious though, why another receiver for scanning and not using your receiver in the signal chain as that will get you the most accurate picture in your setup?

All my stuff right now is EW100 stuff. So I was curious if it was worth picking up one of the 300 series to just all ow for spectrum scanning using the computer/software and data port. I'm looking to pickup up a couple of additional and swap out a couple 600mhz systems, and an Old Gen 1.

I guess I was looking for it just to help frequency coordination, as a step up from just trusting the Zip Code input the various software's can use.

There is this pesky little device called the RF Explorer, but I don't find it super accurate.

In 90% of cases the RF Explorer has the accuracy needed to get the job done, especially if you have the 3G Combo which has a little bit better filtering on the 2.4gHz side of the device. Just take several averages of a 10mHz chunk at a time and you'll get pretty decent resolution for the price. Every time I consider dropping cash to get something better the RF Techs at the rental shops I go to always tell me not to bother, as the RF Explorer gets the job done in most circumstances and is what they recommend before dropping $5k on something. The only times I've needed something more accurate were gigs done right off Times Square, and at that point I generally get an actual RF Tech onsite when things get too dumb.

I haven't asked why, but the RF Explorer was the device I was always told to scan with, as opposed to the Receivers. My guess is probably compatibility with IAS, but even verification scans against the initial coordination were always done with an RF Explorer and not on receivers.

I guess I was looking for it just to help frequency coordination, as a step up from just trusting the Zip Code input the various software's can use.

You're right down the road from me, and I can tell you that a ZIP Code entry is fine on most gigs. There are only a handful of venues in Manhattan I scan in, and only because I don't have the patience to run around to every neighbor and input their coordination by hand or to see if a building is cutting out enough outside noise to fit more RF into otherwise occupied space.

The only gigs ZIP Code entry won't cut it are ones where you know you'll have neighbors and can't physically coordinate with them in person (i.e. You know press will show up, but don't know who). A scanner is nice if you have time to interpret the data, but as long as the source you're drawing the data from via ZIP is kept updated it tends to be fairly accurate if not over-cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back