Set Design on TV

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
So I'm watching a recording of last week's "Meet the Press", and it never fails to interest me that this set is kind of cool.

Sure it's easy to do given a pipe gridwork with Kee Klamp fittings, much less truss and a projection screen. Still there is that video screen wall be it just some form of light box or video screens in wooden TV set boxes.

There is the wiring and how it's all rigged still as not shown.

How did the tech people in building the set wire them light box TV screens in the multiple TV set? Given a Kee Klamp form of pipe supports, still someone had to fish the wires inside of it all and come up with the supports and construction.

Cool set in that it's kind of famous and it works in many ways, and also cool set that once on paper someone had to build as a challenge even if seemingly simple as far as what components make it up.

In lighting of it, look at how the colors of the truss/grid, back ground sky color or even gold of the "The" part of the meet the press signs is while still bright and lively, sort of muted in comparison to the talent on stage by way of color choice and intensity.

Note also a closeup with a guest. Where are the shadows on their faces, not this especially. Is there highlight and shadow, rear lighting to make them pop, blending or a wash? Can you see any coloring used?

Taken as a study - one set and lighting design, one can in study learn much I think. If find right down to the corner of this set's table with the monogram fascinating and as far as design goes, it seems to stand out from the other Sunday Morning political shows go in it's look.

What do others think in this or have noted on other shows? Find any interest in these types of design as somehow useful in theater, or think you would be able to do a similar design and have it as simple but complex?

this is more related to lighting design, but one thing i noticed in the movie gladiator. in most of the scenes that dont take place outside all of the lighting is is side light. many of the scenes with the bad guy indoors have a very cool effect of a strong white key light on one side and a very dark green side at a lesser intensity on the onther side of his face. it creates this very subtle shadow on the actors face thats just like a line in the middle of their face but it still seems natural, unless you are sitting down looking at the lighting, and makes a very disturbing effect that makes the bad guy just appear especially evil. id love to try something like that in a theatre but that could get very boom intensive very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back