set up with pc based and Console

legacy

I need to know the best way to combine two DMX consoles.. Heres the deal will be installing Martin Lightjockey and ETC expression 48/96.. the reason for this is they will be in two different locations. the console to be used to get to the lights by the layiety anf the LJ for complete programing and mastering of Cue etc.. I know I know the expression I think can do this BUT........... there will be around 60 static fixtures and 8 intels ( color wash and yoke). Should I run seperate DMX lines, one to the dimmer and one to the intels.. or run everything one one universe... . would I need a cobiner, splitter etc to be able to run lj and the expression together...( one at a time) where the console would take over or lj ... does this sound dump.. am I making sense....

Makes complete sense. You could either run it all in one universe, or run the movers in a seperate one. I tend to run the movers seperate from the conventionals, just for ease of programming.
There are devices available that allow you to run two consoles at once, and having it set to either 'highest takes precidence' or 'lowest takes precidence'....where as it lets the board with the higher (or lower) levels take control. I don't remember the name of the units, or who makes them as I have not had the need for it.
I'm sure someone can suggest a reliable manufacturer of those devices.

I can't remember if the ETC has a dmx in, but LJ does, as long as you have the correct hardware product. The USB 2 version doesn't, but the new Universal does, the pcmcia card does, and I think the pci does. But if they're in 2 different locations it seems to me it would be simpler to run 2 universes.

thanks so far. TO add to this would a different console other than the etc work I am not stuck on this console and it has not been purchased yet..... The two locations will be one in the sound control booth on the floor and the other in the video control room at the top of staduim seating roughly 20 feet off the floor level..I would think that the PC LJ would be used to do most of the programing , at least that is what I would do being more versed on LJ than a console. LJ does have the new dongle. If done in Two universe's, would I have control of everything from either console? ... thanks again for you insights.... still learning

thanks so far. TO add to this would a different console other than the etc work I am not stuck on this console and it has not been purchased yet..... The two locations will be one in the sound control booth on the floor and the other in the video control room at the top of staduim seating roughly 20 feet off the floor level..I would think that the PC LJ would be used to do most of the programing , at least that is what I would do being more versed on LJ than a console. LJ does have the new dongle. If done in Two universe's, would I have control of everything from either console? ... thanks again for you insights.... still learning

I know it's possible to take dmx into LJ, but I forgot all the specifics of how it works. I might have some down time before te show tonight, in which case I'll try and read the help files a little bit. What I'd suggest in the meantime is downloading LJ (assuming you haven't already) and then go to http://www.paul-pelletier.com/LJDMXIN/LJDMXINPage.htm and download this as well. It will emulate a full 512 channel fader desk and you can fool around with how they work together without spending any money. To use both your best bet is to have 2 monitors connected to your pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back