Setting up an ETC echo system to be DMX takes precedence

almorton

We have just replaced our incandescent houselights (note, NOT emergency lighting) with LED. We have an ETC Arc system with Echo DMX scene controller, echo contact output, 3 x 8 button out stations and a Bluetooth interface.

The old system was based around a Strand outlook system and Act 6 digital. With this, the outstations could set preset lighting such as full, dim, in the round or off, etc, but as soon as the lighting desk came on, it took over, ignoring the outstations. Effectively, DMX has precedence, so as long as the desk was on, nobody could accidentally alter the houselights (except for the lighting operator) but when the desk was turned off it fell back to whatever was on the outstation again.

The Echo system appears to be highest takes precedence, wherever it comes from, so if someone (perhaps accidentally) hits full on an outstation during a show, it overrides the desk and brings up the houselights. Clearly this is unacceptable.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up/reprogram an Echo system to be DMX takes precedence and overrides the outstations. Seems such a common, obvious requirement we’re surprised it’s not one of the default profiles.

I would talk to the people who did the upgrade/install about your options. Most systems have the ability to lockout interfaces, which I think would be a much better approach. Turning on your console and having all of the worklights/runlights immediately turn off seems like a dangerous design choice.

Run lights? Not sure what you're referring to? The lights embedded in the steps?

Work lights are currently separate from houselights (and are under SM's control). It's worked safely for the last 25 years, not sure why it suddenly becomes dangerous.

We're in conversation with the commissioning guys from etc. And yes, being able to lock out some out stations would be a decent compromise.

Anytime the DMX scene controller detects an input, it should be giving the input priority, however it does mix in an HTP fashion. There is no method of changing the arbitration though.

Via the EchoAccess app you should be able to lockout the stations, under the special control tab. There is also an option under the config of the Scene Controller to trigger a preset when it detects DMX Input.

Last edited:
Run lights? Not sure what you're referring to? The lights embedded in the steps?

Work lights are currently separate from houselights (and are under SM's control). It's worked safely for the last 25 years, not sure why it suddenly becomes dangerous.

We're in conversation with the commissioning guys from etc. And yes, being able to lock out some out stations would be a decent compromise.

The issue is that there's usually a gap between when the console starts outputting DMX and when the operator can tell it to bring lights up. If all of the lights in the space are controlled by Echo (or whatever) with this priority setup, then you get a complete blackout when the desk turns on. If your worklights and such are separately controlled (and on), then this is less of a problem--but still something I would choose to avoid. I'd much rather have a button or keyswitch somewhere to more intentionally transfer control to the console.

It's a bit of a faff to have to use the app on every show to lockout the panels.

A friend of mine who is a freelancer tells me this is a common requirement (and complaint) in the theatres he works in.

In the ten plus years I've been at this theatre, with the old system we only plunged the auditorium into darkness when there was a fault on the outlook (which can be counted on one hand) every other time the desk was always left outputting a state where the lights were on.

The feeling is that having spent a lot of money, we've taken a step backwards in functionality.

we have a ‘console takes precedence’ system using an eos family console, and the plunging into dark has not been an issue for us.

With the eos family, when you start the console, it restores in the same state as when it was turned off.

our standard practice is to end the evening with the house lights under control of the console and at a comfortable level. When we turn off the console the lights are controlled by the house light control and go to it’s level. when we turn on the board, it takes precedence and the house goes to the last look on the board

easy peasy. No issues.

of course this only works if your console starts up with the last look.

I'm pretty sure your installer can and a Key switch to Echo that will give you the option to lock out the space for production. Old school but effective. Unfortunately it most likley became a matter of budget that made the system less then ideal. A few more grand and a Paradigm system would have given you the flexibility you were looking for .

In the ten plus years I've been at this theatre, with the old system we only plunged the auditorium into darkness when there was a fault on the outlook (which can be counted on one hand) every other time the desk was always left outputting a state where the lights were on.

The feeling is that having spent a lot of money, we've taken a step backwards in functionality.

Ehhhh.... unfortunately you're not wrong, but also only missing some pieces of the puzzle to achieve what you want. Arbitration of priority needs a processor... A paradigm processor is very capable of doing what you're wanting, but that's not what you have so let's work with that instead...

What's your control console? You may be able to adjust the priority of your console slightly higher than the echo priority which might solve your problem when the console is on. In this case your console would always be elevated and "always" squash any values in your system. Not always ideal, but a possible solution.

Otherwise the lockout options suggested above may be your best solution given your hardware and options.

Chances are a full Paradigm system was too much / too costly for the needs of your system or budget, but this may equally be a case of needing that one thing that you want that you now don't have... that's a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back