Setting up AT 3000 series?

lparks1

This topic was originally started in the GALAXY DHT thread but I figure it should be moved as the subject has switched to the AT 3000 series.

In any case -- I am considering the AT 3000 series for our wireless needs. We would like to end up with a 16 channel system - but we would like to build on it over several shows.

As such -- I am wondering if that system would be a good choice? It is very comparable in price to the Galaxy units and yet I know 10x better built. The G3 series is also great but still about $300 higher per channel than the AT 3000.

In any case, I thought of setting it up like this:

Directional Antenna (x2) --> ATW-DA49 Distro (x1) --> ATW-DA49 Distro (x4) --> Receivers (x16). I have attached a diagram showing how it might be setup.

Does anyone know if this would work well? Will there be any problems with RF signal being lowered by running it through so many distros?

34r.jpg

Does anyone know if this would work well? Will there be any problems with RF signal being lowered by running it through so many distros?

Yes this will work. The distros amplify the RF so that it won't make a difference.

The wideband ATW-DA49 has pros and cons. The antennas and antenna DA being wideband allows them to support a wide range of frequencies, however it also means that they are distributing a lot of out of band frequencies to the receivers.

On your sketch, I think you would need to power each ATW-DA49 independently, so the first one would distribute only RF to the other antenna DA units and not DC power.

Also think about whether two directional antennas is the best arrangement for the use. It may be but that is not always the best approach.

We could use course use the AEW-DA550C & AEW-DA660D distros -- but only if we use only C and D band. Problem is, AT's new I band has the most supported channels in our are according to AT's software frequency finder.

Although, I don't know how much to trust AT's software. I entered two separate zip codes (both for the same town -- Bloomington, IN) and in one zip it said none availabe in D and the other zip said 7 available in D.

There is also the pre-built systems offered by Sigler music -- but the don't have antenna distros... just a bunch of the small rear mount antenna -- http://www.siglermusiconline.com/st...ss-6-Pack-System-w-HS-06-EarSets-107p1632.htm

The wideband ATW-DA49 has pros and cons. The antennas and antenna DA being wideband allows them to support a wide range of frequencies, however it also means that they are distributing a lot of out of band frequencies to the receivers.

On your sketch, I think you would need to power each ATW-DA49 independently, so the first one would distribute only RF to the other antenna DA units and not DC power.

Also think about whether two directional antennas is the best arrangement for the use. It may be but that is not always the best approach.

We could use course use the AEW-DA550C & AEW-DA660D distros -- but only if we use only C and D band. Problem is, AT's new I band has the most supported channels in our are according to AT's software frequency finder.

Although, I don't know how much to trust AT's software. I entered two separate zip codes (both for the same town -- Bloomington, IN) and in one zip it said none availabe in D and the other zip said 7 available in D.

There is also the pre-built systems offered by Sigler music -- but the don't have antenna distros... just a bunch of the small rear mount antenna -- 4 Audio-Technica ATW2110 Wireless Mic Systems with OSP HS-06 EarSets - Sigler Music Center

Sounds to me like you need to do a bit more research before making the jump. I would start with TV Fool, which is going to be MUCH more accurate than A-T's thing. TV Fool Enter your venue's location, and see what TV channels come back. Based on this, you can start to figure out how many channels you can fit into a given bandsplit. I'd be happy to help guide you through this.

I wish there was a good, modern, free tool for this but alas, there isn't. Maybe one day I'll get around to writing it...I'm getting more motivated every day.

This topic was originally started in the GALAXY DHT thread but I figure it should be moved as the subject has switched to the AT 3000 series.

In any case -- I am considering the AT 3000 series for our wireless needs. We would like to end up with a 16 channel system - but we would like to build on it over several shows.

As such -- I am wondering if that system would be a good choice? It is very comparable in price to the Galaxy units and yet I know 10x better built. The G3 series is also great but still about $300 higher per channel than the AT 3000.

In any case, I thought of setting it up like this:

Directional Antenna (x2) --> ATW-DA49 Distro (x1) --> ATW-DA49 Distro (x4) --> Receivers (x16). I have attached a diagram showing how it might be setup.

View attachment 4574

I opened my theatre with 8 of the 3000 series mics both HH and lav. The HH have some issues screwing back on and I have sent in the packs (5 of them) for repair once in 6 years. I have been slowly upgrading to a new AKG setup but keeping the AT's in the mix. I actually come out of my AKG distro into the AT distro and use one set of antennas, no problems. The DC is also sent out of the distro as well. I use passive directional antennas and have no problems in my theatre, just keep placement in mind.

The AKG 4500's are a very nice piece of equipment, that is for certain - 'If I where a rich man' hahaha :). AKG does not seem to have as large of a following as Sennehiser and Shure in the Theatre world though. Don't know why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back