Control/Dimming setting up movers

itie

hello everyone, thanks in advance for the help because i know you guys are great.

well her is my issue we have two studio spots i believe 575, and a leviton innovator board. right now how i believe everything is set up is like so...

First studio spot is plugged into port c then on the out of the spot it goes into the second one. in the booth we have port A going into the board for conventional lights and port C going into the board for the movers. Port B is open. they work and work pretty darn good.

what we want to do is move them from their current location which is on second electric to FOH electric. only problem that i can see it that we dont have Port C on the FOH electric. we do have port B.

now here are my questions.
1) if i move them will they work on port B if i move the dmx cable from C to B in the back of the board and on wall? i was reading the manual for the board and it said something like Ports A and B are for conventional and C is for intels because its universal. what does that mean?
2)right now they are hug upside down or right side up i dont know which why they are suppose to hang, but the lenses points down at the stage and the two claps are attached to the pipe. can i hang the side ways or are they not designed to do that.

thank you
Giovanni

...1) if i move them will they work on port B if i move the dmx cable from C to B in the back of the board and on wall? i was reading the manual for the board and it said something like Ports A and B are for conventional and C is for intels because its universal. what does that mean?...
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, you should be able to leave the male end of the "C" cable connected to the "C" output of the board, and move the female end from "C" on the wall to "B" to get data to your FOH electric.

...2)right now they are hug upside down or right side up i dont know which why they are suppose to hang, but the lenses points down at the stage and the two claps are attached to the pipe. can i hang the side ways or are they not designed to do that. ...
Studio Spots, as with most moving heads, can hang in any orientation. A few lesser quality moving lights don't like to be hung sideways, as it puts extra strain on the pan and tilt motors to keep it in a proper orientation.

I just closed a show with the same console and instruments.
Derek gave you great advice, I just wanted to add that your movers will work fine on the B port, if you re-assign the port for the device in the Setup screen.
People complain about the Innovator, but for me it does the job. If I had more than a handful of movers, I would probably feel differently...

All three ports do the exact same thing - transmit DMX. A and B are typically for conventionals, and C is for devices, but they all do the same thing. As Tex said, in the device setup screen you can tell the devices they are controlled out of port B instead of C. You will probably need to change the addresses on the fixtures, and in the setup screen you might need to change the output of port B to include the new range of numbers/channels.

o the joys of a Innovator, I ran a show with two studio spots as well, so probably the exact same rig, let me know if you have any innovator specific questions. Also, be careful when cueing with the innovator, it has a tendency to wipe or corrupt cue data SAVE YOUR SHOW!!!!! i did a show with 6 mac 250s on an innovator, needless to say i never left the theatre

I traveled with the Innovator for 7 years, small mover rig. Once I figured out how to make it work in a way that it wasn't designed to I loved the thing. Used a theatre board for small rock concerts. Worked well after the first year of headaches.

I think there might be some confusion about your DMX data lines run in your walls.
Are you saying that you have 3 DMX ports in your booth, and line A goes to your dimmers, Line B goes to your FOH, and line C goes to the stage? Your movers will work on all three ports, so long as your Innovator knows which port it's assigned to, and you have the DMX run so that the mover is on the correct data run. If your lines are run in the theater walls so that what's labeled "B" on the wall runs only to your FOH, then all you have to do it change ports in the device setup screen, and connect B to B on the back of the board.

Kenneth Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet
(been touring Innovator 24/48 for 12 years now and still going strong)

thank you guys for all your help i got them mover :). now i ran into a problem i didnt see. when i turn them on the light beam is huge lol. i was reading that you could change the lenses in them but i was wondering if that would solve my problem. is there any way to make the beam smaller (i dont know if im saying that right). if i turn off the iris then the light beam is tiny. so maybe there is a way to adjust the iris on the board? and one last thing i think one of the lamps went out. it worked before we moved it now it wont strike. the other one has the same hours and number of strike and still works. do you thing the lamp came lose while moving it. i was thinking about opening it up and cleaning it then putting it back in. would i clean it with rubbing alcohol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back