Sound f/x SFX triggered by onstage button

blizzard

Hi All,

I am designing an upcoming show and need to incorporate a door intercom cue. Actor will be offstage speaking into a microphone that will playback through an onstage speaker, making it sound like the character is outside the front door of the house. I will be using QLab3. Having the microphone routed through QLab using the audio effects should easily facilitate any processing I need to make it sound appropriate. What I would like to also incorporate is the actor pushing a button that will trigger a sfx of the intercom being engaged - some sort of click/squelch.

How would I use a simple button (like a doorbell or something) to trigger QLab? Is there a simple system that can send OSC? I could also run a simple midi cable with some sort of midi interface that the actor could trigger.

Any ideas how to gracefully achieve this?

Thanks,
Andrew

Sounds like you're over-complicating a simple effect. Any reason why you can't just have a sound op trigger the cue or build it into the recorded cue?
I know it would be kind of neat, but at what point is it simpler to just install an intercom system?

Sounds like you're over-complicating a simple effect. Any reason why you can't just have a sound op trigger the cue or build it into the recorded cue?
I know it would be kind of neat, but at what point is it simpler to just install an intercom system?

That was my first instinct as well, to have the sound op trigger the sfx just before the actor speaks. I suppose I am always looking for ways to simplify what the actor has to do onstage. I figured it would be easier for them to use the button and microphone just like an intercom system isntead of having to listen for the sfx and then speak. I might forego using a live mic and just record the cue. Then I can have complete control. But, sometimes I have encountered directors/actors who want it done live.

I'm going to push for the cue to be recorded.

I agree, record the cue. Or, next best option, have the op run the intercom sfx. However, you could look into I-CubeX sensors for QLab to have an actor trigger it. You could also give the actor a real QLab remote from Duck's Echo Sound, programmed to only fire the one relevant cue via MIDI.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why not just have the SM cue to intercom FX? The actor can listen and just wait to speak until after the effect plays.

I might forego using a live mic and just record the cue. Then I can have complete control. But, sometimes I have encountered directors/actors who want it done live.

I can see giving in to a Director on letting it be done live - it can be a visual thing to see it. But never let the actor have a choice, it's not their place to request that sort of thing.

Recording it is easier, and what 95% of people would do just because it is the more inexpensive solution.

But anyhow, I don't know how many intercoms you deal with daily, but I interact with them quite frequently and usually it's just a fairly silent momentary switch. Once in a while it's an older switch that sticks in which case I would request props build the intercom to be a practical with a press on/press off latching button that makes a click live. Sometimes sound is a props problem and this sounds like one of those times.

I also would still consider the internal fx in QLab 3 to be a "beta" feature (no matter how much they insist it is a solid, stable release). All you really need to do is build a mic into the intercom, wired into your interface or console, and just high pass the heck out of it. Bam, done, it'll sound like a cheap electret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back