Sharkstooth Scrim didn't pass fire, what to do with it?

firewater88

We had all our curtains flame tested district wide and my curtains passed, but the scrim did not. It is almost 20 years old and was going to be replaced soon, with all the other curtains. The district is purchasing a new one, but what do I do with the old one. Am I able to sell it? Can I sell it with a disclaimer that it is NOT flame proofed? Can you have it re-done?
As I said it's about 18 years old. Used sparingly over the years, maybe once or twice a year. Never left hanging, always west-coasted in a canvas bag or in a hamper. It does have a mild case of frowning. It's Rose Brand Black Sharkstooth 30'x67'. No major rips, one small hole was repaired, hardly noticeable.
Any advice... or potential buyers?

TIA...

Sell it with the proviso that it's for sale because it failed the fire marshal's practical test, but your district may have restrictions on sale of 'defective' goods.

We had all our curtains flame tested district wide and my curtains passed, but the scrim did not. It is almost 20 years old and was going to be replaced soon, with all the other curtains. The district is purchasing a new one, but what do I do with the old one. Am I able to sell it? Can I sell it with a disclaimer that it is NOT flame proofed? Can you have it re-done?
As I said it's about 18 years old. Used sparingly over the years, maybe once or twice a year. Never left hanging, always west-coasted in a canvas bag or in a hamper. It does have a mild case of frowning. It's Rose Brand Black Sharkstooth 30'x67'. No major rips, one small hole was repaired, hardly noticeable.
Any advice... or potential buyers?

TIA...
@firewater88 Have Rose Brand price redoing the flame retardant then keep for a spare or loaner or?
As soon as you ditch this one you KNOW you'll rip / tear your new one (There's a LAW).
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I’m curious what tests they did on your drape. I would assume it’s a 704 field test.

You might find someone to buy it. One of my skillsets is fireproofing stuff, so (if I needed a scrim) I'd buy it cheap and re-treat it.

***Do NOT resell it. You can put disclaimers on it for days and you are not protected against the liability of selling an item you know doesn't meet code. ***

If you are determined to reuse it in someway you could look into applying "Flamecheck" it a great product you vacuum/clean your curtain while it's hanging then spray this product with a Hudson. We recently reproofed a set of curtains that were way beyond their date; Flamecheck restored their retardance. California and NY may have different rules but I believe you can apply Flamecheck in every state without the need for a license or special training.
The Field test for Curtain fabrics is described in NFPA 701. NFPA 704 is a standard for Signage, like those diamond shape kind that tell you the flammability and what type of icky chemical is in a tank car or being used in an area. Wherr it's got the three numbers, Yeah, that's 704. NFPA701 is supposed to be performed on site. There is supposed to be a test strip on every curtain produce for just this purpose.
If you are bound an determined to use it for something else then cut it up and use it as a texturing/cover for some foam scenery. It'll be fine as long as you mix a flame retardant like Flamex or FR101 into your paint.

That's a no brainer.... Burn it! (Outside of course!)

***Do NOT resell it. You can put disclaimers on it for days and you are not protected against the liability of selling an item you know doesn't meet code. ***

If you are determined to reuse it in someway you could look into applying "Flamecheck" it a great product you vacuum/clean your curtain while it's hanging then spray this product with a Hudson. We recently reproofed a set of curtains that were way beyond their date; Flamecheck restored their retardance. California and NY may have different rules but I believe you can apply Flamecheck in every state without the need for a license or special training.
The Field test for Curtain fabrics is described in NFPA 701. NFPA 704 is a standard for Signage, like those diamond shape kind that tell you the flammability and what type of icky chemical is in a tank car or being used in an area. Wherr it's got the three numbers, Yeah, that's 704. NFPA701 is supposed to be performed on site. There is supposed to be a test strip on every curtain produce for just this purpose.
If you are bound an determined to use it for something else then cut it up and use it as a texturing/cover for some foam scenery. It'll be fine as long as you mix a flame retardant like Flamex or FR101 into your paint.
This is why I ask before I post for sale. My rags had no test strips, so they cut form an inconspicuous spot.
I suppose I could spray Flamex on it and keep as a spare, or possibly sell down the road. I would hate to see it go to waste as it seems like it still has some life in it left.

That's a no brainer.... Burn it! (Outside of course!)
Boy, that would be a fun one to watch!
#fireextinguisheronstandby

My bad. I meant 705. The small field test described in 701 was abolished in 1989.

Here is a great explanation

To the original question, Check out rosebrand’s fire stop 701 as a treatment option.

I'm not necessarily against this sentiment, but say any FR labeling, and maybe any branding, is removed and it's sold "as is" and as NFR (like in the ad and on the invoice) then where's the difference between this scenario and any sale of new material that is NFR ("painter's scrim" or any other material)? Is it that it's sewn into a stage curtain format? Is it that it may have rotted beyond viable re-treatment? Is it that Rose Brand et al. have sweet insurance a school district may not have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back