Sheaves

Go to your local industrial salvage yard, I bet they have a couple hundred of those.

What Diameter are we talking about? Do you mean you want the stle illustrated in that picture but on a much larger scale, for , say, and industrial looking setting ? If that wer the case I'd simply jig them out of Luan and build a steel or wood frame to mount them on from behind. install a central mount point for a moto and you'd be in business.

I'm doing Machinal and i want the entire space to look like a machine, i want that style on a huge scale, and i was thinking of having them connected by belts so everything fits togeather.

I like Vans idea of luan with a frame underneath. With some careful design work you could make them 16 feet across if you wanted.

Then hit the salvage yard for some smaller ones to use in the foreground.

Rotating equipment and belts, "real" or otherwise - Just make sure everyone keeps their fingers out and watch for loose costumes, trailing costumes, headset cords...

Joe

My theatre did a bunch of big gears and little gears for our production of "king Lear" last year

We drew out the big gears using paper and a compass and just made a sandwich with luan on top and bottom and syrafoam in the middle, and then we used 2x4 as the spokes on the big ones and 1x4s on the smaller ones. and all of ours turned I think. I just don't remeber what we did for the pivots.

um... here is the only pic I have, but I will post more, maybe tomorrow or thursday.

Hope that helps a little, um... will look and see if I can find the origanal designs.

Attachments

• 19[1].jpg
    19[1].jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 236
My theatre did a bunch of big gears and little gears for our production of "king Lear" last year

We drew out the big gears using paper and a compass and just made a sandwich with luan on top and bottom and syrafoam in the middle, and then we used 2x4 as the spokes on the big ones and 1x4s on the smaller ones. and all of ours turned I think. I just don't remeber what we did for the pivots.

um... here is the only pic I have, but I will post more, maybe tomorrow or thursday.

Hope that helps a little, um... will look and see if I can find the origanal designs.

PPM That's a great Idea!

Wow, thanks! I'll throw that idea to the TD and see what he thinks.

well folks, I looked everywhere I have access to, and I can't find the plans for the pivots, although I think that they were just 2 wooden disks with braces between them and a hole throught the middle that threaded onto a pipe or rod.

hope it works out for you

mikel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back