Shop Electricity Question

Last edited:
So Van how do you get 230v + power in the 3 phase differential? Does it start hitting +1.25/-1.25 or does it end up being a different system?

So Van how do you get 230v + power in the 3 phase differential? Does it start hitting +1.25/-1.25 or does it end up being a different system?

The quick answer to your question is yes, you need 240v service to get 240v. So you either need to have a 120/240v delta transformer for incoming power from the main line, or you could use a step-up transformer, or you could have a 240v Y transformer (I just don't remember what your phase to phase voltage is in that case).

The measurement on Van's graph that indicates 240v is a peak to peak measurement which doesn't exist in reality. It doesn't measure and usable voltage as you don't really have voltage between a phase and itself.

The quick answer to your question is yes, you need 240v service to get 240v. So you either need to have a 120/240v delta transformer for incoming power from the main line, or you could use a step-up transformer, or you could have a 240v Y transformer (I just don't remember what your phase to phase voltage is in that case).
The measurement on Van's graph that indicates 240v is a peak to peak measurement which doesn't exist in reality. It doesn't measure and usable voltage as you don't really have voltage between a phase and itself.

Wow, we are now argueing about whos graph is better, I didn't go to business school for a reason... :)

I barely understand either one so they must both suck... or maybe it's just me that sucks. Hmmm... yeah it's probably just a personal problem never mind

Again i wasn't running down Icewolfs. Mine simply represents the fact that the sine wave travels to both side of the 0 phase, or nuetral. Yes it's impossible to have potential between a phase and itself, However the graphs I posted show potential between the phases, which are demonstrated as being " Out of Phase", with each other, and the nuetral, which is the baseline down the center of the chart. that's all. It's a slightly different visual clue, and whereas Icewolfs is an end on visual of the same graph,essentially.

Given that, you probably don't want to connect a device designed for 220/240v to a 208v single phase as you will definitely loose performance, and you really don't want to connect it to split-phase as it may not be designed to handle that. ...

What I'm seeing more and more with video projectors designed to run on 200-240v is the use of a buck/boost transformer at the unit that takes the 208V and boosts it to 232V.

Recently had a "nationally televised awards show" where the building power was 205-207V, 3phase, and long (>100') 12/3 cable runs were "starving" the Super Troupers, which are 220V single-phase devices. Adding buck/boost transformers brought their voltage up to 230V, and solved every problem.

Had a similar problem with SX3K Synchrolites on a another show. In my building the voltage across any two hot legs is generally 212-213. In April, when most of the county started using A/C in a big way, voltage dropped to 205-207. Nevada Power swore that wasn't true, we were mistaken. Considering we meter power after every tie-in, I think we know what we're talking about. We added 3phase 30amp buck/boost to the Synchro's, and they were very happy. Synchro's are supposed to be auto-ranging from 190-240. Oddly, the last two shows, voltage has been back up to 211-213, where it usually is. I guess Nevada Power finally found the "vitamin-enriched" hamster food.

I'm not saying you should put a buck/boost transformer on a power tool. Never done that, never needed to. I have never seen a performance degradation running a 220V single-phase motor at 208V. I would prefer a 208, 3phase table saw other large wood-working tools.

gafftaper, Sounds like you'll be fine with what's been spec'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back