Shopping List...Things you need around the shop (non-gear)

Hi,

So recently I have become involved with a company that is new and rapidly growing. I have taken on the task of structuring there lighting department and guidng there purchases. While still freelancing full-time it has been a challenge.

Its been years since I have worked in a shop so i could use some advice. Particularly with shop expendables ie E-tape, Gaff-Tape, Lamps, Zip Ties, Tie Line, Gel,

It would be great if some of you could chime in some suggestions (no matter how exotic) they have a bit of cash burning a hole in their pocket:lol:.

3000' of Tie-line, case of black 2" gaff, 6 rolls of white 2" gaff. Heat shrink. Colored e-tape. Black e-tape. Friction tape. Stagepins in both flavors. Lamp sockets for all the types of instruments you own. Soldering gear. Multi-meter. Power strips. GAM CHECK! For the love of god a gam check.

As far as lamp inventory goes, I like to have one spare lamp for about every 10 fixtures I have in stock. That tends to keep ordering to a minimum.

I agree with all of Footer's list. I will add, some type of organizational system. An organized work place is usually more efficient and safer. You don't want to spend half of you time looking for the right hand tool, proper screws, or the paperwork you need to prep an order. Tubs, bins, folders, and a label machine are cheap.

Also don't forget a variety of Sharpies (don't forget silver), first aid kit, appropriate adapters (stage pin, edison, 3 and 5 pin XLR, etc.), DMX terminators, DMX tester, a good stock of hand tools, Cam-Lok turnaround and tees (or appropriate power distribution tees).

~Dave

always more pencils. they go missing like that's what they were made to do. Regular #2 as well as carpenters pencils

3000' of Tie-line, case of black 2" gaff, 6 rolls of white 2" gaff. Heat shrink. Colored e-tape. Black e-tape. Friction tape. Stagepins in both flavors. Lamp sockets for all the types of instruments you own. Soldering gear. Multi-meter. Power strips. GAM CHECK! For the love of god a gam check.

As far as lamp inventory goes, I like to have one spare lamp for about every 10 fixtures I have in stock. That tends to keep ordering to a minimum.

I agree with all of Footer's list. I will add, some type of organizational system. An organized work place is usually more efficient and safer. You don't want to spend half of you time looking for the right hand tool, proper screws, or the paperwork you need to prep an order. Tubs, bins, folders, and a label machine are cheap.

Also don't forget a variety of Sharpies (don't forget silver), first aid kit, appropriate adapters (stage pin, edison, 3 and 5 pin XLR, etc.), DMX terminators, DMX tester, a good stock of hand tools, Cam-Lok turnaround and tees (or appropriate power distribution tees).

~Dave

Thats a good number of lamps, I like having 2 cases of black gaff, 1 of white gaff, a bin of 2-5 rolls of Red, Blue, Green, Pink, White, Grey, Purple, etc colored E-Tape, a bunch of rolls of black E-tape, a couple rolls of colored gaff can be useful, I like Neon Pink, Neon Green and Neon Yellow (1 roll each). A large number of black zip ties, finger trap stuff for whips and the like (you can buy a pretty large roll IIRC), 12 and 18 gauge wire for practicals, Ring Terminals, A NICE (for the love of God, a nice one) crimping tool, wire strippers, a SMALL power drill with Phillips and Flat screwdrivers, a nice set of hand screwdrivers, 100' and 50' tape measures, plumb line, china markers, spare Crescent wrenches, ratchet set, spare parts for all kinds of instruments in your inventory, a tool box for all your tools, I like the mechanics style boxes on wheels with a flat top, so you can roll the entire thing out and work wherever you are, use the bigger drawers for parts, smaller ones for tools. Nice capable solder station.

Large number of sharpies. Large chopper style paper cutter. Flat files for gel sheet storage, hanging files in drawers for gel cuts. More china markers. Sharpies in black. Paint pens not made by sharpie in silver. A box of red pencils. Box of normal pencils. Highlighters in yellow and at least 2 other colors. A box of Black Uni-ball Vision and a box of Uni-ball Vision Exact pens (only pens worth buying). White legal pads. LOTS OF ADAPTERS!!!!

Tools....screw drivers of all varieties, dykes, wire strippers, wrenches, box cutters, a large paper cutter for cutting gel.

Another note for that paper cutter; most people find it best /easier to mark their frame sizes on it. Back when we had 9 or 10 frame sizes the marks were a lifesaver.

Another note for that paper cutter; most people find it best /easier to mark their frame sizes on it. Back when we had 9 or 10 frame sizes the marks were a lifesaver.

Any preference as to make/model for a paper cutter? I was looking into a rotary paper cutter because sometimes I work with middle school students and it looks safer than the killer blade type. Staples has one for $50, but it looks kind of cheesy.

Carl® 12" Professional Rotary Paper Trimmer | Staples®

Rotary cutters are the dog's pajamas (see http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/7385-gel-cutting-tool.html ), but you need a 24"x24" to cut gel.

I was looking at that thread before, but the posts were dated and I didn't see any specific model information that was helpful.

snowflake-dog-pajamas.jpg

If you're maintaining your own moving fixtures buy the small zip ties and some mini diagonal side cuts to trim them with. You have to cut a lot of them out to remove bulkheads and such. A lot of techs like to put fixtures back together without them, but things go together better and last longer with them in place. Past that I'd say buy enough screwdriver sets and/or 10-in-1's so that every tech has their own. Most tools can be shared but that is one where the time in waiting or finding the necessary tool WILL cost you money in shop time.

As far as screwdrivers for each tech, I have had one of these for years, and it is very good value.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RTK-015 15 Piece Standard Computer Tool Kit
The tools are OK quality, not Klein or Xcelite, but still pretty good, especially considering the price, and they now have quantity discounts. The kit also has a grabber which is great for replacing screws in hard to get at places. The included pill box screw holder is also good when disassembling something, much nicer than an egg carton, maybe not as nice as a muffin tin.
Speaking of Xcelite, I know an EE who swears that a Greenie is his most used tool.
Catalog No. R3322BK Product Detail

@porkchop, I didn't know Avid made shoes, how cool is that, I think I'll wait for some ETC Ion shoes. Sorry, couldn't resist.

As far as screwdrivers for each tech, I have had one of these for years, and it is very good value.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RTK-015 15 Piece Standard Computer Tool Kit
The tools are OK quality, not Klein or Xcelite, but still pretty good, especially considering the price, and they now have quantity discounts. The kit also has a grabber which is great for replacing screws in hard to get at places. The included pill box screw holder is also good when disassembling something, much nicer than an egg carton, maybe not as nice as a muffin tin.
Speaking of Xcelite, I know an EE who swears that a Greenie is his most used tool.
Catalog No. R3322BK Product Detail

@porkchop, I didn't know Avid made shoes, how cool is that, I think I'll wait for some ETC Ion shoes. Sorry, couldn't resist.

That tool kit looks perfect to be the "shop loaner or something, enough to get you buy but not enough to be a pain to replace. I personally am a fan of Cobalt tools from Lowes, because there was a lowes down the street from my old school, so I could get there fast, the tools are of decent quality and really cheap. FWIW, never get tools at menards. They didnt even have quality machinists files, and I have never seen a nice tool there. Ever..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back