Short Boom Mike for SLX1

Stevens R. Miller

I'm looking for a short boom, over the ear microphone that will work with our Shure SLX1 body-packs. I've seen these in use, but finding them online is turning out to be surprisingly hard. The few I can find are also insanely expensive. (The online descriptions are also maddeningly vague about what kind of connectors they have, or if they connect at the pack or to something right at the earset itself.)

Can anyone help me with finding an over-the-ear SLX1 compatible mike?

Thanks!

I've been using microphonemadness.com for the past few years, and just ordered four more short boom mics - they will put any connection on that you request via drop down list when you order. Ends up being around $150 per mic, which is far better than the Countryman price...

Agree with 2 previous postsers about microphone madness and bodymics. Though, I have 2 microphone madness boom mics that were broken by client and no-op, now need repair at current. I deploy those units when I know the gear is at high risk of being damaged by client since it's a smaller investment.

An opinion, Audio Technica BP894 microset - every time I use them I get comments from audience members and producers/directors on clear sound and intelligibility. Feedback rejection is excellent and I've used them in very difficult reflective environments. Some vocal popping, but controllable with filters. They come with any connector you need at pack, just order them that way. BP892 also good, short boom.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with finding an over-the-ear SLX1 compatible mike?
Generally the sales page will say "TA4F for Shure" or something along those lines. Aside from the options listed elsewhere in this thread, my typical budget option would be the Countryman E6 omni or E2 Cardioid. You could also take a gamble on the Point Source CO-3, at $99 it might be worth a look.

Also consider grabbing some Telex AEF-2 ear loops, Floral Wire (or some thicker tensile wire if you need a longer boom), a Hellermann Tool, and Hellermann Sleeves in pink or black and then you can make any lav mic an ear-rig with a little bit of work. Check here for more info. It'll make your stock of mics just a little more flexible.

An opinion, Audio Technica BP894 microset - every time I use them I get comments from audience members and producers/directors on clear sound and intelligibility. Feedback rejection is excellent and I've used them in very difficult reflective environments. Some vocal popping, but controllable with filters. They come with any connector you need, just order them that way.

I think the BP894 has it's place in a mic toolbox, but it approaches the price of a DPA 4061 -- at that price I'm going to just get the DPA and ear-rig it. I'll break out the AT mic if I'm doing a talking heads thing and really need something cardioid, or if I have a new mixer at the desk and they really need a crutch to prop themselves on but I really always try to use directional headsets as a mic of last resort -- though in some places you just can't avoid them.

I like your comment about "rolling your own" with the Hellerman tool. Agree that opens up a lot of alternate paths, I've used Shure WL93 and Countryman B3 on coat hangers with decent results.

I don't mean to suggest directional headset as a panacea, it's not. I often use omni mics and use the BP892 in addition to other sets.

I've been using microphonemadness.com for the past few years, and just ordered four more short boom mics - they will put any connection on that you request via drop down list when you order. Ends up being around $150 per mic, which is far better than the Countryman price...
+1 for MM Madness. I've been using them for at least 10 years. All of my mics have been out of warranty for years. Every year, I send 8 to 10 of them back for repair (wire replacements usually). Very reasonable on repairs, too. I have not had an element fail yet.

Great advice you guys, thanks! Amazing to me just what a wide range of prices apply to these things. Since I tend to work in a pretty hostile environment (community theater with a lot of adorable children), I have to plan for equipment failures. Often, the advice I get comes in the form of, "Buy the most expensive one there is because everything else is crap." But, in practice, I'm finding that "crap" tends to mean either or both of, "will be DOA," and, "won't last long." Well, if 10-20% are DOA, that's fine if I can save 90% over the cost of the "good" stuff. As for expected time before failure, everything I use fails quickly. That's what happens when you deal with kids and amateurs (and are at least one of those things yourself).

This is, without a doubt, the most beneficial Web site I have ever found.

Hi - I own bodymics, and we warrant our earsets for 12 months against manufacturing faults and electrical failures - yep not against damaged cables. We have fixed cable earsets for most brands in 4.2", 3.3" and 1.5" and can custom bulit in 2.3" (while stocks last) prices are $49-55 in sibgle units. Guaranteed no DOA. We also do them with detachable cables in 4.2", 3.3" and 2.3" booms. Then there is our Silicon earhook, flexible ear hook version which are ideal for kids theatre - boom is thicker but virtually unbreakable and it ajdusts from 0 to 4". Hope this info doesn't break any rules, but since someone mentioned us I thought I'd flesh out some info

Hi - I own bodymics, and we warrant our earsets for 12 months against manufacturing faults and electrical failures - yep not against damaged cables. We have fixed cable earsets for most brands in 4.2", 3.3" and 1.5" and can custom bulit in 2.3" (while stocks last) prices are $49-55 in sibgle units. Guaranteed no DOA. We also do them with detachable cables in 4.2", 3.3" and 2.3" booms. Then there is our Silicon earhook, flexible ear hook version which are ideal for kids theatre - boom is thicker but virtually unbreakable and it ajdusts from 0 to 4". Hope this info doesn't break any rules, but since someone mentioned us I thought I'd flesh out some info
Hey, thanks for chiming in! Given that we were discussing your products, I would be the first to say your appearance and information are both welcomed and appropriate. Having direct communication with a vendor makes a world of difference to my comfort level. My policies about expecting DOAs and purchasing replacements in advance are for foreign (and other) vendors with whom there tends to be no real way to communicate. Based on your appearance here and the recommendation of others, you can be sure you will be getting some of my business.

I agree, I heard about bodymics through this website and they just shipped my first order of microphones - 4 lavs and earsets plus a few other items like transmitter beltpacks. I'm really excited to see/hear if there will be a difference in my small auditorium between the lavs and the earsets.

Positive track record with MM ... have had some in service for 5 years in HS musical theatre. Haven’t tried bodymics yet but going to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back