Should a gutar be louder then vocals

soundop

Me and another kid whose only done sound 1 time in his life wont let me near our scools board though i am more exprieneced on the board, but ny way the kid says the gutair should be louder then vocals, and i say voclas should be louder, its an acoustic guitar miced at 0 and the singers mic is at - 5 (soft singer) so i just thought id ask opinion

It's all about how the band wants their mix to come through. Sure, the vocals generally cut through above the rest, this is true, but I always ask the band what they think should be more prominent in the mix.

Yep, it's about what the band wants. That's why you do sound checks so that level issues can be discussed. USUALLY, yes the vocals are slightly above the rest of the mix, but there are several styles of music where that isn't the case.

Just because one fader is at 0 and the other is at -5 doesn't mean the fader at 0 is louder. It depends how hard you're hitting the preamps or summing amps if they're assigned to different buses.

Matt's right - the overall volume depends on many factors, including gain, channel fader, EQ, compressors, etc. However, I would tend to say that vocals should be slightly louder than the rest of the mix in order to cut through. The amount by which the vocals should be louder depends on band to a point, but the band is not made of engineers and often do not know for themselves what sounds best.

Remember, your job is the make the band sound good to the audience. The monitor guy's job is to make the band sound good to the band.

Depends, if I'm singing you'll want the guitar real loud, if I'm playing guitar believe me, you'll wnat the vocal loud, real loud. Really,really loud.

Depends, if I'm singing you'll want the guitar real loud, if I'm playing guitar believe me, you'll wnat the vocal loud, real loud. Really,really loud.

Van you are on a roll tonight. I'm going to follow you around from thread to thread with your gratuitous rim shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back