Wireless Should I replace my Senn. "C" range equipment?

While part 74 is very specific about who can get a license, there has also been talk of "someone" setting up a database for users of wireless mics, iem, comms, etc to register their frequencies for large scale, temporary events or production houses that use large blocks of frequencies regularly. However, it's my understanding that this is NOT a replacement for an FCC issued license to operate. It's simply a tool to assist with frequency coordination. Registering your frequencies, simply says that you were on that space first, and everyone else "should" stay clear. Last I heard the idea was still being debated, mostly from a standpoint of who would be required to participate and who would administer the database. It's also my understanding that this database would not cover the 700mhz spectrum either.
Maybe Mike can add more, but my understanding is that the database is part of the White Space Device (now called TV Band Devices) decisions and the FCC is in the process of bidding for the management of the database.

It gets rather convoluted. In allowing TV Band Devices the FCC legalized the use of White Space by unlicensed devices, which opened up the conundrum of how can you accept new unlicensed devices and not also address the large number of current unlicensed devices. However, the specific requirements for these new devices are not met by wireless mic or IEM systems, in fact I don't think they have been proven to be fully met yet by any devices. At the same time, the FCC recognized they needed to some how address the many existing wireless mic and IEM users and is trying to accommodate them. TV Band Devices devices will have to look for unused spectrum, but since some other wireless systems may not be operating at the time this search is done an added element is a geolocation database for certain types of wireless users and certain types of TV Band Devices will have to check this database and avoid operating on any registered frequencies in their geographic area. What is still not known are many related details such as who will run this database, who can be registered in it, how that registration occurs and so on. It is known that the database will accommodate large production houses, major sporting events, etc. but it is not clear how it might apply to smaller theatres, churches, corporate and educational facilities, etc.

The 700MHz spectrum is a totally separate issue, TV Band Devices will not be allowed to operate in that spectrum, thus the database would not apply, and it is expected that the prohibition on anyone other than the successful bidders in the auctions or the first responder systems using that spectrum will soon be passed.

I personally look at what has transpired so far as a positive. Sure, it would have been great for many here if the FCC simply made unlicensed wireless systems legal, but that is unrealistic. However, the recognition of the number and types of existing unlicensed wireless system users and a need to address them coupled with the requirements for TV Band Devices to essentially work around any other transmitting devices were very positive compared to what could have happened. When you look at it from the perspective that there were some fairly powerful and well connected organiztions, 'public interest' groups and corporations that wanted to outright ban all of your existing wireless systems and fine the manufacturers of those devices out of business, primarily so that they could then have exclusive use of that open spectrum for their own unlicensed devices, then the outcome so far looks quite good. We'll have to wait and see how this continues under the new administration.

Re: Should I replace my Senn "C" range equipment

This is true if you have a license for a microphone in the 700 MHz range. But we don't qualify for a license (see 74 CFR 74.832(a-d), below), and so we've been operating illegally all along!

Technically speaking, though, you are correct that 47 CFR 74.802(a) was never modified to prohibit BAS device operation. However, since we are unlicensed (and this does not fall under Part 15), the bottom line is that if you do cause harmful interference to a licensed user in the 700 MHz band, you are subject to a potential fine of $11,000 per day per transmitter. Theoretically, you are also subject to that fine for operating a wireless mic on ANY Frequency (save for the hydrological frequencies and/or 2.4 GHz), but the FCC has never levied that fine to my knowledge on users in the VHF or UHF bands, and their Report and Orders has been very careful to sidestep the issue completely.

That said, I highly, highly recommend that all 700 MHz wireless equipment be replaced immediately with gear below 608 MHz. All it's going to take is an overzealous licensee (such as AT&T or Verizon) to get you in very deep financial trouble).

I'm bringing this one back up because I'm still a little confused...

Find an Answer

ummm???

I'm bringing this one back up because I'm still a little confused...

Find an Answer

ummm???

We are not eligible to file this form with the FCC.

Thats...what I thought. So why does Shure have it posted? For people who are elligible?

Exactly. Some users (such as broadcasters) may wish to become licensed users. Though, if you are a broadcaster, one would think you have a person whose sole job is to handle licensing issues...

is this happening in australia too?

There's always a lot of debate on the level of expected enforcement of the 700mhz ban.

Due to lack of budget our theater isn't converting immediately, but if the FCC comes knocking on our door I certainly wouldn't put up a fight ... I'd simply say "sorry, we'll shut them off and try to find some other way of holding performances in our financially struggling theater", and at that point stop using them. I have doubts that will ever happen.

In more practical terms, channel 55 just became almost entirely useless in our area over the past couple of months. We have old AKG WMS80 systems which allow 16 frequency selections within a single UHF channel, and our (thankfully only) Ch55 receiver will now work only in the highest frequency setting ... gets a loud buzz of interference at all other frequencies. I think this is going to be more the norm of what motivates people to replace these systems over time ....

In more practical terms, channel 55 just became almost entirely useless in our area over the past couple of months. We have old AKG WMS80 systems which allow 16 frequency selections within a single UHF channel, and our (thankfully only) Ch55 receiver will now work only in the highest frequency setting ... gets a loud buzz of interference at all other frequencies. I think this is going to be more the norm of what motivates people to replace these systems over time ....

Congratulations! You just discovered Qualcomm's MediaFLO system. They bought channels 55 (and 56?) nationwide for this service. Google for more.

Last edited:
Congratulations! You just discovered Qualcomm's MediaFLO system. They bought channels 55 (and 56?) nationwide for this service. Google for more.

There you go -- the beginning of the end of the 700mHz band ... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back