Show File Transfer (ETC Express)

Wolf

Hello All,

I had a quick question I was hoping you could help me with.

I have an upcoming show that I would love to pre-program. The console I will be using is ETC Express 24/48. I have access to an ETC Express 72/144, (possibly the next size up not completely sure). Would there be any problem programming on one of these consoles and loading it into a 24/48 as long as I did not go past 24 dimmers?

Thank you for your time.

You should have no problems. You could also use Expression Off-line (download) and a Windows PC (provided you can find one these days with a working 3.5" floppy drive)--there's a setting to choose your console type: Any of the Expresses, Expression2x/3, Insight3.

Note that the Express 24/48 can control up to 96 channel s (1>48 on the channel faders and 49>96 via the keypad) and 1024 dimmer s/ address es/ output s.

-----
... I have access to an ETC Express 72/144, (possibly the next size up not completely sure). ...
There isn't a "next size up." 72/144 is dimensionally the largest console in the line. The Express 250 can control more channels, but does not have individual channel faders, only the 24 submasters.

But that's really neither here nor there. In the "Setup" menu, set the "# of Channels" to 96, and you'll be fine. Of course it's a moot point if the venue only HAS 24 dimmers. In that case, set both "# of Channels" AND "# of Dimmers" to 24 (provided you're not using any other DMX devices).

(Actually/honestly, since my OCD kicks in when I don't see complete rows of numbers, I'd set "# of Channels" to 100 or 25, but not use channels 97>100 or channel 25, respectively.)

Attachments

• UHR_cheat-large-brt-46.jpg
    UHR_cheat-large-brt-46.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
To reinforce Derek's post

It's not the number of dimmers, it's the channel limits.

The 24/48 can access up to 96 control channels. The 72/144 can access up to 240 control channels. Both desks can control up to 1024 dimmers (or addresses, as we now refer to them).

You do not want to be writing cues on the 72/144 for channels above 96 as those levels will not transfer to the 24/48.

Thank you both. Thats what I thought but I wasn't positive. By "next size up" I mean the 250 but I also couldn't remember what its count was, I oddly haven't used the express line as much as would be expected having learned on ETC. My board was the Expression 2.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back