Automated Fixtures Showpix Channel Use

Hughesie

Just looking up the spec sheet and a few things occurred to me.

1. In Extended mode it uses 451 dmx channels
2. It weights 49kg (108lbs)

that is a huge amount of weight and channels.

The question is will anyone ever use it in extended mode, do you really need rgb control over every one of the 127 leds:!:

that is another thing, who points their lights at the audience, the idea of pixel mapping would work better on pixel lines not a moving head light, but the product isn't aimed at my demographic (eg no budget) Actually i think they aimed that at venue owners who have to much money and not enough sense :)

The showgun was high end's experimentation at integrating leds into a moving head.

Having seen the Showpix at a trade show you can use at as a wash light in addition to being able to play video content on it. As for pointing lights at the audience it is very common in rock and roll and the beauty of a moving head is that it can wash the stage or point into the crowd depending on the moment.

The company I am working for this summer has not bought any new high end lights (DLs, color commands, showgun show pix) but we have sub rented DLs and showguns a few times and sent them out on tours long enough that we might have been able to make money off buying.

3 Doors Down is touring with six Showguns and six Showpics. During some of the show, the LD uses just the outer ring of the Showpix, to make it look as though he has 12 Showguns. Just one reason for using them in the "extended mode".

Guess the two Lighting Boards on the show.

I saw the ShowPix at the recent HES Boston Open House and I actually asked Craig this question. His response was that if you wanted to not have to deal with uploading custom content and just create it using pixel mapping you would use enhanced mode.

Did the three doors down tour use a mask to create that effect? I feel like that would be much easier and would make sense rather than having to have 2 DP2000's just for the showpix.

From the LD, Matt Mills, via email. "What I did was find a clip that did what I needed it to and paused it, then stepped thru it until only the outside ring of the Pix was lit up. After that all i had to do was change the color of it. Its real easy to do."

I feel like that would be much easier and would make sense rather than having to have 2 DP2000's just for the showpix.
Stranger things have happened. It actually suprises me that they didnt just build one into the fixture itself. You have to remember, that with shows that are going to be renting them, how many universes you are using is not even a matter of contention.

Good point Footer4321. Why not implement ACN directly (or at least ArtNet)? If they had made a built-in DP2000 and multi-port switch, one would think it could help Hog sales. Matt forgot to tell me he's using 70 channel mode, and a Hog3. So good call, beltsvillecrucib!

Good point Footer4321. Why not implement ACN directly (or at least ArtNet)? If they had made a built-in DP2000 and multi-port switch, one would think it could help Hog sales. Matt forgot to tell me he's using 70 channel mode, and a Hog3. So good call, beltsvillecrucib!

There is an ethernet port on the Showguns, I am going to assume the same is true on the showpix. I am sure the fixture could handle it, but I don't think that the consoles could yet. ACN brings in a whole different way to patch, not that its a huge deal to do, but it would take some time to implement correctly. Give them some time, it will happen. Someone has to be the first to do it, and I think that someone will be HES.

Hog consoles are capable of speaking artnet, though it is not enabled yet. Its still being developed. The DP8000 is going to be released soon allowing 16 universes in one unit along with hopefully artnet being enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back