Showtec Sunstrip Help - How to set up DMX control

Hi All,

I have just bought one of these lights -

http://www.lichtpunt.nl/upload/documenten/showtec sunstrip active.pdf

I was wondering if there is anyone else who has them and what was your approach is setting up a fixture control/personality file for it. On looking at the manual it does not cover the normal DMX protocol information you would expect to see. I am using Freestyler control software however there is no control file for it. I am happy to set a file up but just dont know the best way to approach it.

Any help much appreciated.

I took a look at the manual and while I agree it's not in the most easy-to-read format, on page 8 it does explain the different modes and how they function.
CH:01 in the display, all channels controlled by one DMX Channel.
CH:02 in the display, Channel 1/2 controlled by one DMX Channel, Channel 3/4 controlled by one DMX Channel, ….., Channel 9/10 controlled by one DMX Channel. You have a total of 5 DMX Channels available.
CH:05 in the display, Channel 1-5 controlled by one DMX Channel and Channel 6-10 controlled by the other DMX Channel.
CH:10 in the display, each channel will be controlled by one DMX Channel.
Note : Default is CH:10; this means 10 DMX Channels, so every light is individually controllable.
Once you've selected and set the mode, you'll just neede to set the starting DMX address.

While I'm not familiar with the Freestyler, I took a look at their website and I would think you could use either generic templates (1, 2, 5, or 10 channel faders - depending on which mode you choose) or they apprarently offer a "Fixture Creator" to make your own custom template.

Personally, if I have the DMX channels available to use, I always try to set my fixtures to the most versatile mode, usually the mode that uses the most channels, in this case the 10 channel mode.

Hope that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back