Shrek the Musical Lighting Plot

Jon Majors

Hi everyone, I have been allotted some funds to rent lights for Shrek the Musical. What would your plot look like if you could do the show? I am looking for inspiration and direction. Here are some specs of my stage and electrics setup:

4 beams of FOH lights with Altman ERS fixtures. 50 circuits total
2 torms SL and SR with 6 circuits each
4 total floor pockets s side light, 2 SL and 2 SR
1st electric is dead hung with 8 circuits
2nd-4th electric have 18 circuits each on them

Existing fixture inventory that comes with the space other than the ERS? What's the fly situation like for scrim/bounce?

Jon, You want one of the Control Booth folks to design your show for you? Send me plans and elevs of the plant, plans and elevs of all the sets and, BRW, what's your budget? OH, and what's your schedule?

I do not want anyone to design for me. I am simply giving information regarding my setup in hopes that someone has had experience with the show and can give a recommendation or advice.

Hi everyone, I have been allotted some funds to rent lights for Shrek the Musical. What would your plot look like if you could do the show? I am looking for inspiration and direction. Here are some specs of my stage and electrics setup:

What's the space like? Is there a set? What does that look like?

Well... I've done the show a few times. However I haven't done your show.....What's the venue size? What's the height? What's the set? What's the budget? What's the style of the show? How long is it running? How long do you have for tech? Does the plot need to do other things/events? I would probably do some front light, side light, top light and back light and a cyc if you have one? Footlights are fun for big chorus numbers. Spot light? Spotlights are nice for musicals.

Also what's the amperage of your circuits, what type of dimmer, how are they controlled, where are they controlled from, how do designs in your space typically look, what does indy rental have available for you and how much would it cost and how long can you have it / do you need it?

Well... I've done the show a few times. However I haven't done your show.....What's the venue size? What's the height? What's the set? What's the budget? What's the style of the show? How long is it running? How long do you have for tech? Does the plot need to do other things/events? I would probably do some front light, side light, top light and back light and a cyc if you have one? Footlights are fun for big chorus numbers. Spot light? Spotlights are nice for musicals.

Also what's the amperage of your circuits, what type of dimmer, how are they controlled, where are they controlled from, how do designs in your space typically look, what does indy rental have available for you and how much would it cost and how long can you have it / do you need it?

The idea behind my question was not for you to design my show, this me giving you all of these details. Basically, I am asking people who have done this show, what ideas and advice can you give me that would help knowing that I have the option of renting fixtures and with the basic info I originally gave. I don't want you to design my show.

The idea behind my question was not for you to design my show, this me giving you all of these details. Basically, I am asking people who have done this show, what ideas and advice can you give me that would help knowing that I have the option of renting fixtures and with the basic info I originally gave. I don't want you to design my show.
@Jon Majors Mr. Majors Sir; There's a breakdown in communications / Failure to communicate; for example:
Posters could / would suggest fabulous lighting fixtures to illuminate your cyclorama / sky cloth, along with suggestions for colors and which colors in which scenes et al IF they knew you had a hard or soft cyc or sky cloth available to you and the space / facilities to install / support / still have space for performers to cross from side to side behind it. If you have neither a cyc nor facilities and space to install one, there's little to be gained by endless posts regarding how to best light your cyc; with various fixtures supported overhead, (Flown, dead hung, ground supported, full stage width truss) or if they feel light from your deck using any of the traditional choices of ground row lighting sources would create a better look for you.

For another example: Many could / would suggest many different types of dimmers / control consoles / static fixtures / "wiggle lights" which could easily require a 3 phase; 200 or 400 amp service to power. Again, little point in steering you in any of these directions if the total power available to you is a 30 amp 120 / 240 volt "dryer" receptacle and / or its 40 amp bigger brother commonly referred to as a "stove" receptacle.
At the yet lower end, possibly your only available source of power is two or three duplex receptacles which may be all powered from one 20 amp breaker OR, if you're a little luckier, each may be individually powered from its own 20 amp circuit breaker or all the duplex receptacles could be configured as split receptacles and each powered by a two pole / common trip breaker.

Similarly; when you say you have Altman ERS fixtures: Which beam spreads (fixed or zooms)?
Four beams with 50 circuits total, understood but how many ERS's do you have to populate those beams and circuits.

Also; are all 50 circuits single phase 20 amp 120 volts OR are any of your 50 circuits single phase 120 / 240 volt OR 3 phase 208 volts?
There's little point suggesting you rent a quantity of (pick your favorite) automated fixtures if you have neither the correct voltage and current availabe nor the capability to adequately support half a dozen 60 pound automated fixtures while maintaining their supports stable without swinging due to movement of your automated fixtures.

There's little point in anyone proclaiming the joys of (pick your favorite color) on your cyc in combination with their favorite green backlights IF you have neither the facility to support back-lighting fixtures nor the ability to mask them sufficiently to prevent blinding your paying patrons.

Bottom LIne: I feel there are too many gaps in your: "Here are some specs of my stage and electrics setup: " list.
@TimMc @JonCarter @jayvee Would you care to comment???
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:

I'm personally a fan of ETC Desire 60's as top lights. I also like using movers on the first electric as front light. It's a bit sharp on shadows so not everyone likes that look but in smaller stages I like the contrast, it gives depth.

Here's a couple photos of the last time I did Shrek. Top lighting mostly used for color washing to match a projection on the scrim or to pull focus.

I did have some blue front light as well but a border wasn't flown out enough thus the funky line down stage....

DSC_0073_150.jpg
DSC_0043_149.jpg

since you're first electric is dead hung it's a perfect spot for movers in my opinion.

Have fun. there's a lot you could do depending on what's available at the rental house.

Bottom LIne: I feel there are too many gaps in your: "Here are some specs of my stage and electrics setup: " list.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I'm with Ron on this. There are far too many unknowns to recommend specifics. (And I hope I wasn't being too hard on you, Jon. No, I don't want to design your show, and having not designed a show in 50 years you probably wouldn't like my design if I did.)

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I was hoping to draw out the OP so we'd have a better idea about his show other than the title and a very incomplete technical description of existing lighting assets.

My thought - and it's going to leave a mark - is that the OP needs to let someone else handle this. That's as nicely as I can put it.

I'm not against learning experiences but if one is fundamentally incapable of both technical and artistic communication one might wish to consider a different path.

I'm with Ron on this. There are far too many unknowns to recommend specifics. (And I hope I wasn't being too hard on you, Jon. No, I don't want to design your show, and having not designed a show in 50 years you probably wouldn't like my design if I did.)
@JonCarter (It pains me to be the one to break the news:) Lime lights and the wicking of whale oil have fallen by the wayside as have Edison cylinder recorder / players; synchronizing the Edison cylinder transports via SMPTE proved too great a challenge, even for @jfleenor 's Dad.
Toodleoo! (and thanks for the memories) [Although I've heard sand boxes and shovels are still in use on the loading floors of a few remaining hemp houses.]
Ron Hebbard.

I'm personally a fan of ETC Desire 60's as top lights. I also like using movers on the first electric as front lights. It's a bit sharp on shadows so not everyone likes that look but in smaller stages I like the contrast, it gives depth.

since you're first electric is dead hung it's a perfect spot for movers in my opinion.
IF your 1st LX is not only dead hung but at sufficient height to permit automated movers to be suspended from (under) it, still be masked [unless you're going for the "let's expose the tech 'n toys look] and capable of being mechanically braced / secured laterally to minimize lateral motions, especially if you're into rhythmically synchronized pans, tilts and rotations.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

IF your 1st LX is not only dead hung but at sufficient height to permit automated movers to be suspended from (under) it, still be masked [unless you're going for the "let's expose the tech 'n toys look] and capable of being mechanically braced / secured laterally to minimize lateral motions, especially if you're into rhythmically synchronized pans, tilts and rotations.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I try to avoid a ballyhoo of front light unless I get a chance to light Hannibal ;-) but I haven't got that call yet, so I'll just stick with my slow move in blacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back