Shure Microflex with bodypack transmitter?

Mistermon

Hello all,
So I saw a couple of threads alluding to my answer, but I wonder if anyone has real world experience:

Can I make a Shure microflex microphone work with a ULX-D Bodypack? They have the same connector and I know the pack puts out phantom power. I tried a proof of concept with a Shure overhead with 185 capsule and it worked.
I was just wondering if anyone actually USED a similar configuration in a real world application... specifically, this will be for a board meeting in a large auditorium.

I don't have wired boundary mics, and not enough XLR sends on the house snake to make it feasible to purchase them to go accross a 40' proscenium (about 32' of tables- COVID social distancing, etc.), so I'm thinking a good option would be 4 mics, plugged into my body pack Tx. If I'm going to purchase, might as well be something that fits existing infrastructure.

Thanks,
Rob

They have the same connector and I know the pack puts out phantom power.
Not entirely correct, ULX-D outputs Bias power, not Phantom Power. Bias is a lot lower at +5VDC to Phantom's +48VDC. It would make sense that it worked on your 185 Capsule because they sell the same capsule on their WL185 lavalier mic.

My guess is that the Shure Microflex stuff would all work just fine with ULX-D Bodypacks after looking down the spec sheets, all their other spec sheets for Lav mics with TA4F imply that the same Microflex RK100PK in-line preamp is what needs to be used to adapt them for use with XLR. The backup plan would be to just make some TA4F to XLR jumpers (only using 2 wires, so it would be unbalanced) to a Phantom Power box, that then powers whatever mic you'd need to power.

Shure does also advertise the ULXD8 wireless base specifically for the Microflex line of microphones, with mute buttons and lights and a tabletop form factor.

I agree with themuzicman that, especially given you've seen it work, it will work just fine. There's not much if any way for a microphone to be simultaneously compatible and incompatible with the bodypack. (The comments on phantom power vs. bias are correct as well--and phantom power requires a balanced connection, while the microphone connection to a bodypack transmitter or similar device providing bias/plug-in power is unbalanced.)

I may have been one of the folks who chimed in on a post about using a Microflex gooseneck on a beltpack as I am still planning on adding that to a lectern setup in the future. I have tested this with a MX391/0 tabletop boundary mic which is already terminated to the standard TA4F pinout for Shure transmitters. Internally that mic uses the same capsule as that the WL183 lav mics. The gooseneck version I'm planning on using is the MX412 which is hardwired to a Phantom powered adapter but that can be removed and the mic rewired to suit the TX input. In my tech notes I have a "how do I do this" page that PDF from an old FAQ from Shure.

Dan

Thank you everyone for your responses. I can report great success with the setup. Will comment on battery life after more testing.
Rob
Hi,

Which mic did you end up using and how was the battery situation with this? We're trying to make a wireless lecturn with the equipment we have.

I've done several "reg" mics on wireless. I used a battery phantom power injector, which has full size XLR I/O, so you get the right adapter cable or make your own. I typically run (2) KSM32's in my grand piano to a phantom injector to (2) ULXD transmitter in the piano. Have done it for AKG wireless as well.
I have done several lectrn mics doing the same setup. That way the body pack isn't powering the mic and can last a lot longer.

Hi,

Which mic did you end up using and how was the battery situation with this? We're trying to make a wireless lecturn with the equipment we have.
I didn't do an exhaustive test, but we had good success with the Microflex and the bodypack for our 2 hour meetings. SB900 battery pack showed between 4-5 hours of charge left after use.
For specifics, it was the ULX-D transmitter with a Microflex MX391. The transmitter had a new SB900 battery pack.

Great results for my application.
Hope this helps!
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back