Wireless Shure mics "popping" during show

ravenboats

Member
During our shows our Shure wireless systems (SLX G4 & G5, UC UA & UB) have been making popping noises. There's usually a buildup of clipping followed by a short "phht" sound. This has been going on for a few years and nothing has been done about it, but this year it has come to a head, becoming much louder and more frequent. It is probably due to the UA and UB systems aging, but we think it is caused when the mics disconnect and reconnect very quickly. We are trying to get rid of those but didn't take advantage of the rebate because of the price of the new systems. Has anyone experienced this before?

It's also worth noting that these are set up by channel and group, not by frequency. Yesterday I ran Wireless Workbench 6 and will be applying these settings but not until next week as we are in the middle of a run of shows.
 

TimMc

Well-Known Member
Premium Member
During our shows our Shure wireless systems (SLX G4 & G5, UC UA & UB) have been making popping noises. There's usually a buildup of clipping followed by a short "phht" sound. This has been going on for a few years and nothing has been done about it, but this year it has come to a head, becoming much louder and more frequent. It is probably due to the UA and UB systems aging, but we think it is caused when the mics disconnect and reconnect very quickly. We are trying to get rid of those but didn't take advantage of the rebate because of the price of the new systems. Has anyone experienced this before?

It's also worth noting that these are set up by channel and group, not by frequency. Yesterday I ran Wireless Workbench 6 and will be applying these settings but not until next week as we are in the middle of a run of shows.

Sounds like intermodulation interference. How many units of each band are you using and when was the last time a frequency coordination was run in Wireless Workbench? Also note that TV stations have relocated, RF-wise, to allow the FCC to auction 10 year licenses to mobile carriers (T-Mobile was the biggest buyer). Even if you have no 600mHz units you may be getting intermod from newly relocated TV stations interacting with the combination of systems in use.
 

ravenboats

Member
Using channels picked with WW6 is the right first step. It's likely to resolve your issues.

Alright, I am planning on switching the frequencies tomorrow.

Sounds like intermodulation interference. How many units of each band are you using and when was the last time a frequency coordination was run in Wireless Workbench? Also note that TV stations have relocated, RF-wise, to allow the FCC to auction 10 year licenses to mobile carriers (T-Mobile was the biggest buyer). Even if you have no 600mHz units you may be getting intermod from newly relocated TV stations interacting with the combination of systems in use.

We have 2 G5s, 12 G4s, 6 UBs and 6UAs. We've never run wireless workbench before, but on running it I realized that the auctions are most likely causing the interference.
 

TimMc

Well-Known Member
Premium Member
Alright, I am planning on switching the frequencies tomorrow.



We have 2 G5s, 12 G4s, 6 UBs and 6UAs. We've never run wireless workbench before, but on running it I realized that the auctions are most likely causing the interference.

Yep, the TV band re-pack is pretty well along, and T-Mobile begins testing before the PA tube in the TV transmitter cools down. The idea that wireless mics 'just work' is part of last decade's thinking, I'm afraid.

Wireless Workbench will help you a great deal, and there are plenty of EweTube videos to help you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread