Shure QLX-D

Brenden Friedel

So my school recently purchased 8 QLX-D receivers. I know that these guys can be hooked up to a network and used with wireless workbench and shures channels app. But the question is... How do i hook up 8 ports to one router and still have room for two mixers?

For that, you'll be in need of a network switch.
For this usage, nothing fancy is needed, the cheap and cheerful option at your local retailer, probably in the 8 port variety, will work just fine...

So my school recently purchased 8 QLX-D receivers. I know that these guys can be hooked up to a network and used with wireless workbench and shures channels app. But the question is... How do i hook up 8 ports to one router and still have room for two mixers?
A "Router" really only has two connections, one for the LAN and the other for the WAN or higher LAN. Most all routers have a built in "network switch" which is why they have four or more output jacks. In most cases, you simply add additional switches to add additional devices. The limit depends on how strong the router is. In theory, you could have up to 256 devices tied into a basic router. In practice, that number is much lower if you expect any reasonable performance out of the device. There's a reason routers vary in cost from about $100 to $2500, but few of us will notice or need the capacity that very expensive routers provide. Network switches can be had in the $20 to $120 region, depending on brand and number of outputs. Most are 4, 8, 16 or more outputs. Simply plug your switch into one of your router ports. Newer switches even auto-sense the input so you don't even need a "twist" or "flipped" cable, just off-the-shelf pre-made Cat5/6

It seems like overkill to network 8 receivers in a fixed location. Set them and forget them.
The only reason I would like to is because we live in a heavy frequency area with tons of frequency’s crawling all over. I have an airport and a news station nearby so networking those 8 receivers allows me to use software to find those perfect frequencies. And normal receivers can’t talk to eachother but these can if they are networked into the same WiFi. Not to mention the iPad control using Shures app

The only reason I would like to is because we live in a heavy frequency area with tons of frequency’s crawling all over. I have an airport and a news station nearby so networking those 8 receivers allows me to use software to find those perfect frequencies. And normal receivers can’t talk to eachother but these can if they are networked into the same WiFi. Not to mention the iPad control using Shures app

Airports aren't going to be a huge source of unlicensed white space devices, neither will the news station -- their uplink will be an issue, but you can find what TV stations to avoid pretty easily and tune around them using the frequency sheets supplied with your devices, just don't tune onto a TV station's channel.

The TV station's reporters are more of a threat to the stability of your systems if they do a lot of remote shoots near your venue. Anyhow, go buy a cheap unmanaged network switch like a Netgear GS108 or something. I'd also suggest reading up on how computer networks work -- it'll only help you more down the line if you plan on pursuing audio as a career, shows only get bigger and with them comes larger computer networks.

Airports aren't going to be a huge source of unlicensed white space devices, neither will the news station -- their uplink will be an issue, but you can find what TV stations to avoid pretty easily and tune around them using the frequency sheets supplied with your devices, just don't tune onto a TV station's channel.

The TV station's reporters are more of a threat to the stability of your systems if they do a lot of remote shoots near your venue. Anyhow, go buy a cheap unmanaged network switch like a Netgear GS108 or something. I'd also suggest reading up on how computer networks work -- it'll only help you more down the line if you plan on pursuing audio as a career, shows only get bigger and with them comes larger computer networks.
Thanks! The only reason I’m saying that tv stations are near is because I have like 12 unites in the J3 range for Shures SLX and it’s like 537-599 or something like that and I have major trouble even doing scans from frequencies running into eachother and we really aren’t sure what is causing that interference. We have our churches in ear monitors in the same range but that rack is usually shut off when we use it. Any other possible things that could be interfering. And are systems are remote antennas that are directional about 130ft away from the stage and is powered through Shures antenna distributors

Thanks! The only reason I’m saying that tv stations are near is because I have like 12 unites in the J3 range for Shures SLX and it’s like 537-599 or something like that and I have major trouble even doing scans from frequencies running into eachother and we really aren’t sure what is causing that interference. We have our churches in ear monitors in the same range but that rack is usually shut off when we use it. Any other possible things that could be interfering. And are systems are remote antennas that are directional about 130ft away from the stage and is powered through Shures antenna distributors
Maybe look a bit closer to home. Do you use LED house lighting? I find trouble from about 530 to 550Mhz with a lot of the direct-replacement LED lamps. Not sure why, but turn the lights all off and it's gone. Most of the time I can still run fine, but have to keep the squelch set pretty high. Note, most LEDs are quiet as a church mouse, but some brands really offend!

Maybe look a bit closer to home. Do you use LED house lighting? I find trouble from about 530 to 550Mhz with a lot of the direct-replacement LED lamps. Not sure why, but turn the lights all off and it's gone. Most of the time I can still run fine, but have to keep the squelch set pretty high. Note, most LEDs are quiet as a church mouse, but some brands really offend!
I'm not sure if our house lights are LED, I'm almost certain they are but i think a couple are still incandescent. I don't follow though how the LED's would cause wireless interference. Like that seems very bizarre

When you coordinate you need to coordinate for ALL sources of interference, IEM's included, for maximum fault tolerance. 12 units of SLX is a lot of SLX, they aren't the most robust wireless and have a limited switching bandwidth.

You're most likely interfering with yourself, if I had to guess.

Another thing to think about -- your antennas are moderately far from your source signal, remember that the inverse square law is in effect for Antennas, just like it is for sound propagation in speakers. You want those antennas as close to the source as possible. Another thing to think about is either un-powering or setting the antennas to the lowest gain they can go, powered antennas are good in a very limited number of situations, but you are boosting all the noise along with the signal. If you are in a noisy environment, and the antennas are far away you are going to boost noise that you wouldn't otherwise want.

Why don't you post an entire list of all your RF and their frequency ranges? With every post you are painting a bigger picture, but not the entire one.

The J3 band is TV 31-34. Using the zip code of LNHS, 32832, there are TV stations on 23, 27, 46, 26, 30, 28, 31, etc. If you could give us an accurate location, we might be able to do better.

When you say you have TV stations near you, we need to determine if the studios are near you, or the actual broadcast transmitters are near you. Studios often have shorter microwave towers, which would not interfere. If it is the actual transmitter tower, it could be a big problem. Transmitter towers are usually quite tall in Florida.

TV Fool is one tool that can help you determine what is nearby. Look at the "real channel" and distance in the results.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

If a UHF TV broadcast transmitter, or several, is really close by, your mic receivers could be suffering from front-end overload or desensitization. Under that condition, the receiver cannot reject the interference by tuning. That would explain why the SLX units cannot scan. The fix for front end overload is better receivers or external filtering. That sort of situation is often what separates an expensive receiver from a cheaper one. QLX and ULX is probably more tolerant, but there is no way to predict, especially without knowing the exact severity of the situation. External, bandpass filtering is a sure fix, but its an expensive step to take unless we're sure what the problem is here.

Active (amplified) antennas and/or distribution would be a very bad idea under strong RF conditions. I don't know if the Shure distros you have are amplified. They are if they are lossless. An RF amplifier can easily overload and spew garbage across otherwise clean channels. In that situation, I would move the antennas and receivers close to the stage, and use passive splitters to feed the receivers. You could use the stock, whip antennas to do some tests without the active splitter.

Last edited:
The J3 band is TV 31-34. Using the zip code of LNHS, 32832, there are TV stations on 23, 27, 46, 26, 30, 28, 31, etc. If you could give us an accurate location, we might be able to do better.

When you say you have TV stations near you, we need to determine if the studios are near you, or the actual broadcast transmitters are near you. Studios often have shorter microwave towers, which would not interfere. If it is the actual transmitter tower, it could be a big problem. Transmitter towers are usually quite tall in Florida.

TV Fool is one tool that can help you determine what is nearby. Look at the "real channel" and distance in the results.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

If a UHF TV broadcast transmitter, or several, is really close by, your mic receivers could be suffering from front-end overload or desensitization. Under that condition, the receiver cannot reject the interference by tuning. That would explain why the SLX units cannot scan. The fix for front end overload is better receivers or external filtering. That sort of situation is often what separates an expensive receiver from a cheaper one. QLX and ULX is probably more tolerant, but there is no way to predict, especially without knowing the exact severity of the situation. External, bandpass filtering is a sure fix, but its an expensive step to take unless we're sure what the problem is here.

Active (amplified) antennas and/or distribution would be a very bad idea under strong RF conditions. I don't know if the Shure distros you have are amplified. They are if they are lossless. An RF amplifier can easily overload and spew garbage across otherwise clean channels. In that situation, I would move the antennas and receivers close to the stage, and use passive splitters to feed the receivers. You could use the stock, whip antennas to do some tests without the active splitter.
I’ll prepare an location and a equipment list with all the frequencies in a couple minutes. But as much as we would love to move our antennas closer to the stage. We really have no where to put them. Of course we could put them on the proscenium or on the catwalk but doing that would result in the house not being able to get picked up. And we have a ton of rentals that use the house and use the microphone in the house. Now I’ve noticed on the antenna it has a light that says RF overload. Could that be another cause of it?

Now I’ve noticed on the antenna it has a light that says RF overload. Could that be another cause of it?
If your RF overload light is on, yes, that could be a big part of the problem.

I attached a drawing of our theatre for reference. The best address to use would be 12500 Narcoossee Road, Orlando Florida 32832. Our system right now consists of 12 Shure SLX in the J3 (572-596 MHz), 2 ULX in the M1 (662-698 MHz) band (Getting rid of in about 2 weeks) 6 Shure SLX in the L4(638-662 MHz) band (Getting rid of in about 2 weeks) and in about 2 weeks we will have 8 brand new Shure QLX-D in the H50 band. The distribution system is 4 Shure UA844 UHF distribution systems and 1 Shure UA844+SWB/L that goes to the antennas located above the control booth about 16' in the Air in the light booth. The paddles/fins are Shure U8A74. Most of our lights that we use on stage are ETC source 4's and some ETC lights with barn doors. I Beleive that the house lights are LED's but not shitty ones. Our Radios are in the 800 MHz range, we have a ton of internet signals going through on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The wireless DMX for our movers that aren't LED's are 190MHz. Then we have our churches Sennheiser in-ear monitors in the I don't know the frequency range or model but I do know that they are around the late 500 range and 5 of those and 10 Shure QLX-d in the H50 range but their system is always shut off and only used to turn on the system through Crestron and Dante networking. The only other wireless systems that could be in the theatre are cell phones. Keep in mind we have a Telex system but is hardwired and have power tools in our shop. There isn't much electrical interference the mics could get caught in.

Attachments

• LNHS Theatre.pdf
    89.1 KB · Views: 272
I’m puzzled by this part of your description. What wireless DMX technology operates at 190MHz? And do you have other wireless DMX for other parts of your system (e.g. for movers that are LEDs)?
They are Showbabys (Little orange boxes) That are just wireless DMX Boxes. They operate at 5 different frequencies and the ones we have it set to are at 190MHz. They make it so we don't have to run a long DMX cable into our movers. We have 4 movers, i dont know what they are.
upload_2017-12-31_17-18-57.png

You are completely mistaken in this case. ShowBabys operate in the 2.4GHz band using FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum). The system ID options (5 for Showbaby5, 6 for Showbaby 6) are hopping patterns, not specific frequencies. Nothing about it is ever anywhere near 190MHz. Same band as WiFi and Bluetooth.

How does one fix that
First you have to figure out why. (See FMeng 's post #12 above) If your overload lights are on even when the transmitters are all off then it's time for some detective work. That RF is coming from somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back