Wireless Shure ULXP

I just bought a Shure ULXP from ebay. They said that the microphone was tested and working. I come home to open the box and the sound is not coming out the the microphone:(
I was hoping some body can help me?. I see orange lights on the RF and it seems good. I have the group and channel ready on the reciver and transmitter. But when I speak into it there is no light on the TX AUDIO or on my mixer board. I am very upset. Someone please help me!

I just bought a Shure ULXP from ebay. They said that the microphone was tested and working. I come home to open the box and the sound is not coming out the the microphone:(
I was hoping some body can help me?. I see orange lights on the RF and it seems good. I have the group and channel ready on the reciver and transmitter. But when I speak into it there is no light on the TX AUDIO or on my mixer board. I am very upset. Someone please help me!

Is it a legit shure ;)

YEA? of course it is... it works but just nothing is coming out :(

Have you double checked all of your gain settings, and that the volume on the front of the receiver is set correctly? And, have you made [-]Shure[/-] sure :)rolleyes:) that the capsule is completely screwed on?

I see orange lights on the RF and it seems good. I have the group and channel ready on the reciver and transmitter. But when I speak into it there is no light on the TX AUDIO or on my mixer board.
Okay, first things first: did you read through the manual yet?

Question 1a: With the transmitter powered OFF, are any of the RF lights lit up? If yes, you need to read page 17 of the manual and scan for more-viable frequencies.

Question 1b: Have you checked here to see if the unit(s) you bought are in a frequency range that is viable for your area?

Question 2: How is the receiver connected to your mixer?

Question 3: Make sure the receiver's Level Control knob is fully clockwise and that the switch on the back of the receiver is set to Mic or Line, depending on the type of input you are utilizing.

Question 4: What transmitter do you have (bodypack/lav/lapel or handheld)?

More questions to come with more info from the OP...

Yes, I read the manual and followed everything. I checked the frequency and yes there is. I tried connected the mixer xlr to xlr and did not work. Then I tried it the gutair wires and it still did not work. I have a handheld!... Please help! i am sitting here just playing with it tring to get some sound

Michael,

What mixer are you using? Once we know that, we can eliminate user error as a culprit.

The handheld has audio circuitry and a radio transmitter. Just because the transmitter works, doesn't mean the audio does. If your receiver RX lights up when the mic is OFF, then there's interference. You MUST use group and channels available in your area. Period. See Shure's website for it's Frequency Finder.

Once you are on a quiet Channel and Group with a nice RX that goes on and off with your HH, the problem of not getting anything on the TX means there is a problem with the audio from the handheld to the receiver. If the GAIN on the Handheld (see manual page 14) is too low, turn it up to the max. If you don't get anything in the TX at that point, it doesn't matter how you hook it up to the mixer or what mixer you have. There is no audio being transmitted. The ULXP4 receiver has a squelch setting that you can try but I doubt that's it. You have a bum system.

If you do have the orange lights that means your reciever is connecting to SOMETHING, now I'm not repeating the other posts, yes check for interference, but once you're done, now check to see that your cables are not the problem. It sounds like even if the transmitter is transmitting then it isn't transmitting a proper signal. Adjust the squelch and there should be a 0db / -20db switch. Transmitter may be sending a signal that is too weak. Check all your gain levels. Let us know if you changed anything with the set-up and what the results are. :mrgreen:

HERE IS MY VIDEO SETTING UP THE SYSTEM. Please watch a make sure I am doing it right

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do both handheld and receiver show the same Group and Channel numbers?
Is the gain setting on the Handheld as shown on page 14 of the manual turned up to the maximum?
What happens to the RF lights when you turn the Handheld off?

First, don't scan for frequencies. You want to use Shure's website to find one that is not on top of a TV station. With the microphone off, you should see NO orange lights on. If you do, you are on a channel with a LOT of noise (TV station, etc).

Now, let's make sure the mics are in the same bandsplit. If not, they will not work even if the group and channel is the same. Look on the upper right corner of the receiver and it will tell you (should be like, H4, M1, J2, etc). Compare to the bandsplit code inside the battery cover of the mic (should be on the label). Let us know what those are.

If that doesn't work, we'll throw the things into master list mode and make sure they really display the same frequency...

Mike

While the mic was off you had a reading for about 2 on the receiver, when the mic was on the level jumped to say 3-4. Also I never saw an indication for the antenna a or b for strength. And if I were you I would try a frequency with less noise on it. Being in the US there are codes about frequencies so there should be some open channels that will have almost no noise. Test on one of those, check that the antenna are all the way plugged in (though i'm not sure how you would get any RF if they weren't it's just that indication of which signal is strong enough that is bothering me. Along with if you're that close I would think the RF signal would be 5 star maximum power) try the gain settings like LesWilson commented cause it doesn't look like a reading from the mic either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back