sign drops

AYT93

This happened last year During our SING, which is a student run show where each grade gets to perform a show they wrote them self.

The bars holding the side curtains at my high school used to be a little too close to the first of our booms. So one day while doing a run through with the curtains closed we were lowering a side. My brother and our friend Nick were in the boom cage lowering it and i was at the side watching it come down making sure we were all clear at the ground level. Well they are lowering it and we begin to hear a noise of scraping. So i go out a little bit to look around, and right then the sign slides down the bloom, cracks off and drops, this is a 300 pound sign with pound and pounds of Christmas lights on it. Well i ran after saw the sign slide and there were tables in the way so i am told by my brother that i jumped over a table and a chair while he watched the sign drop behind me. Since the sign was no longer holding weight , the counterbalance was uneven and 300 lbs were falling down with my brother and his friend having to stop the rope. Well the sign had to be rebuilt and it was two days before the show, but that was OK because at least i walked outta there not looking like Swiss cheese from the lights. We were able to fix it in time, but the group whose sign it was took it personally and didn't like it, even though we were the ones who were going to have to fix it.

Well the Assistant Principal of the Arts got on the phone with the company who had installed the curtains the year before and had them come in and fix the curtains that the put in the wrong place, (they made other mistakes with the booms, like wasting 3 feet of space with unnecessary chain that we had to take care of ourselves)

Aaron
Technical Director
Susan Wagner AV Squad

Wow...that's interesting
your brother and his friend actually stopped the counterweight? that would be a tough thing to do, especially 300 lbs!
good job getting out of the way of the giant sign!

The bars holding the side curtains at my high school used to be a little too close to the first of our booms. So one day while doing a run through with the curtains closed we were lowering a side. My brother and our friend Nick were in the boom cage lowering it and i was at the side watching it come down making sure we were all clear at the ground level. Well they are lowering it and we begin to hear a noise of scraping. So i go out a little bit to look around, and right then the sign slides down the bloom, cracks off and drops, this is a 300 pound sign with pound and pounds of Christmas lights on it. Well i ran after saw the sign slide and there were tables in the way so i am told by my brother that i jumped over a table and a chair while he watched the sign drop behind me. Since the sign was no longer holding weight , the counterbalance was uneven and 300 lbs were falling down with my brother and his friend having to stop the rope. Well the sign had to be rebuilt and it was two days before the show, but that was OK because at least i walked outta there not looking like Swiss cheese from the lights. We were able to fix it in time, but the group whose sign it was took it personally and didn't like it, even though we were the ones who were going to have to fix it.

Well the Assistant Principal of the Arts got on the phone with the company who had installed the curtains the year before and had them come in and fix the curtains that the put in the wrong place, (they made other mistakes with the booms, like wasting 3 feet of space with unnecessary chain that we had to take care of ourselves)
Aaron, I sincerely don't intend to offend, but I am having trouble understanding your story, and I suspect it's because you are using non-standard terms in referring to what I think is your counterweight fly system. Might I suggest you check the words/phrases above in red for the proper terminology? This site, and this site, may be helpful to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back