Sill Iron

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
A Sill Iron is a Piece of Hardware used in the construction of Door flats or door units to maintain the width of the opening at the bottom of the flat. Typically constructed of 3/4" wide x 1/8" - 3/16" thick steel The Sill Iron consists of a flat bar that is 12 - 16" wider than the opening of the hole on the flat with two "arms" welded at right angles to run up the inside the opening. The sill iron is intended to be counter-sunk into the edges of a flat so as to sit flush with the framing. The Sill Iron is held in place by means of screws installed the bottom plate and arms.
Sometimes a Sill Ion is referred to as a Saddle Iron because of it's visual similarity to a saddle.

Bad ascii art below:

___|__________|___

Last edited by a moderator:
A Sill Iron is a Piece of Hardware used in the construction of Door flats or door units to maintain the width of the opening at the bottom of the flat. Typically constructed of 3/4" wide x 1/8" - 3/16" thick steel The Sill Iron consists of a flat bar that is 12 - 16" wider than the opening of the hole on the flat with two "arms" welded at right angles to run up the inside the opening. The sill iron is intended to be counter-sunk into the edges of a flat so as to sit flush with the framing. The Sill Iron is held in place by means of screws installed the bottom plate and arms.
Sometimes a Sill Ion is referred to as a Saddle Iron because of it's visual similarity to a saddle.

Bad ascii art below:

___|__________|___
Van, Where do you buy your sill iron? I am having trouble finding a supplier stateside.

Reactions: Van
Thanks for the quick response. We are a high school theatre and don't really have a fabricator on staff. There are places that sell sill irons in England, but it seems like I will have to get it Fab'd at a shop here. Thanks again!

If we’re being completely honest I have often neglected the uprights and just done it as a single strap of steel across the threshold on the door.

Drilling and countersinking a small stick of strap steel is something that is easier on a drill press but can be done easily enough with cordless drills.

Possibly NYC's Mutual Hardware?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
I misread the OP's statement I thought he said he was looking for one in the UK. You're right Mutual might have one but, you could 3/4" (@RonHebbard that's 19.05 mm north of the wall.) flat bar from Home depot take it to a weld shop for half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back